• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I break a lease to sell home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moomoo72

CA.
We have people in our rental home in a lease until Dec. We NEED to sell that house due to financial hardship. Is there any legal way to break the lease? They have done nothing wrong and are not willing to let us "buy" them out of the lease.

fairlight

moomoo72 said:
CA.
We have people in our rental home in a lease until Dec. We NEED to sell that house due to financial hardship. Is there any legal way to break the lease? They have done nothing wrong and are not willing to let us "buy" them out of the lease.

No. You can evict tenants in California for several reasons. Financial hardship is not one of them.

LindaP777

moomoo72 said:
CA.
Sell the house as a rental property. The new owner can keep your current tenants. See if there is a REIA chapter in the area, an investor may want a rental property with the tenants already included!
(Just a thought . . . the tenants may get annoyed when an agent is bringing a potential buyers through ever few days and want out of the lease.)

ENASNI

LindaP777 said:
Sell the house as a rental property. The new owner can keep your current tenants. See if there is a REIA chapter in the area, an investor may want a rental property with the tenants already included!
(Just a thought . . . the tenants may get annoyed when an agent is bringing a potential buyers through ever few days and want out of the lease.)

Interesting and twisted Linda... Gee I never thought that of you. Let us make their lives Heckfire while they try to live out a nice little lease they signed thinking it was all nice and pretty.

OP... How much have you offered... Maybe the Moon was not enough, Jupiter and Saturn have looked good... I think I see some alignment.. do do dooo dooo ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">