• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I break my lease? Crazy LL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

Your free to install a nanny cam to record all who come and go into your apartment , your free to call inspections after any reasonable repair request you have made is ignored and Like it or not , if its mechanical /structural like holes in the ceilings or leaks yes inspections can write orders and make them fix it or they will fine them or at the worst condemn the unit ( wich is way worse since in many cities condemnation also means full code compliance in order for anyone to be able to live there again ) nice thing with a nanny cam is you can indeed take it with you to another place. And when a realtor just walks in without notice go ahead and tell them to get out or you will file formal complaint against them with your states realtor licensing agency or what ever its called . LL entry well if you have it on a nanny cam showing them entering and the time and date and you didnt get notice or they do it when you are home then call the police anyway.

LdiJ

There are laws to protect LL from tenants who do not pay and who damage their property. I understand that the eviction process is lengthy and some tenants take advantage by not paying rent for that period of time or further damaging the rental unit. I understand that these laws were put into place to protect the LL's asset and I'm not saying they always work in the LL favor.

I am talking about a tenant, like myself, who does everything right. Truthfully and honestly I am a model tenant. The only reason they want me to leave is because I will no longer heal to them and push back because I've finally had and taken enough.

There are no laws in place to protect tenants from abusive landlords. I could have called a building inspector on them who would have just demanded they make a repair, I could have called the police when they let themselves into my apartment but it would have been their word against mine. I still have no legal right to leave the apartment without paying rent through the termination date of my lease even after all of their abuse and harassment. Which means they can make my life miserable - or more miserable - in the meantime. So instead, I have to keep living this nightmare. I don't expect for you to understand, but it is not a healthy environment for me or for my daughter. I do not feel safe in my own home, I may not own it, but it is my home - for now at least.
I would be tempted to put up cheap chain lock on the door. Something that will stop someone from entering at will, but would also not be strong enough to prevent a more forceful entry in the case of an emergency. At least then you could feel safe while you are in your home.

Gail in Georgia

New Jersey is actually one of THE most tenant friendly states (right up there next to California and New York to strike fear in the hearts of many landlords). Since you've never bothered calling an inspector nor the police you have no actual idea how either would have responded. But...whatever...as my children would have said.

If you believe your landlord wishes you out and you want to leave, discuss the matter with them. There is nothing wrong with coming to a mutual understanding to terminate a current lease but get the decision to do so in writing. Use the argument (not untrue) that an empty unit often shows much better when it's up for sale then one which is occupied.

If the rental unit is sold, the current lease "rolls over" to the new owners and remains in effect until it would normally end. If they wish to move into the rental unit, they can also consider "buying you out" in the cash for keys situation. This is a fairly common situation.

Gail

FarmerJ

cash for keys can include of course full refund of deposit, something to help with the rental truck and something to cover so called prorated refund of xdays of rent if the current month is already paid and one moves early and every thing in writing & signed or no dice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Some states have a renter's deduction on state income taxes.
From what I have found the only deduction she can take in NJ is the property tax portion of the rent. She can't deduct her entire rent.
Property Tax Deduction/Credit
Eligibility Requirements

All property tax relief program information provided here
is based on current law and is subject to change.

To be eligible for a property tax deduction or a property tax credit:

◾You must have been domiciled and maintained a principal residence as a homeowner or tenant in New Jersey during the tax year; and
◾Your principal residence, whether owned or rented, must be subject to local property taxes, and property taxes must have been paid on that residence either as actual property taxes or through rent; and
◾Your rented dwelling must have its own separate kitchen and bath facilities; and
◾Your gross income was more than $20,000 ($10,000 if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return), or you or your spouse/civil union partner were 65 years of age or older or blind or disabled on the last day of the tax year. Note: Residents who were not 65 years of age or older or blind or disabled and who are not required to file a return because their income was below the minimum filing threshold are not eligible for a property tax credit.

Additional information on the property tax deduction or credit is contained in the New Jersey Resident Income Tax Return instruction booklet (Form NJ-1040).

Which amounts to this:
Line 37c - Property Tax Deduction. You
may also be eligible to claim a deduction
for property taxes you paid, or rent constituting
property taxes (18% of rent due
and paid) during your period of residency
So my question remains -- how is she deducting her rent? Because that statement implies her entire rent.

lluvlyr

From what I have found the only deduction she can take in NJ is the property tax portion of the rent. She can't deduct her entire rent.

Which amounts to this:
So my question remains -- how is she deducting her rent? Because that statement implies her entire rent.
I am not deducting my rent on my taxes. New Jersey has what is called a 'Homestead Credit' which basically gives renters $50 minimum refund if you pay property taxes for the residence either directly (mortgage) or indirectly (rent).

'Homeowners and tenants who pay property taxes, either directly or through rent, on their principal residence in New Jersey may qualify for either a deduction or a refundable credit on their New Jersey resident income tax return. Homeowners and tenants may be eligible for a deduction or credit even if they are not eligible for a homestead benefit.

Qualified residents may be able to deduct up to 100% of their property taxes due and paid or up to $10,000, whichever is less. The tax benefit varies depending on the amount of the taxpayer’s taxable income, the amount of property taxes or rent paid, and filing status. For tenants, 18% of rent paid during the year is considered property taxes paid. The minimum benefit is a refundable credit of $50.'

FarmerJ

So are you saying that your LL may have been attempting to claim a property tax rebate them self and were upset because you filled for one as the law allowed you to? ( just asking because we get some property owners in my state that also like to cheat on property taxes /property tax refunds too, in my state some LLs who are attempting to hide renters will not willingly give certificates of rent paid to tenants ) anywho it was just a question

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">