• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I break my lease early. No signed lease for this year.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bella99

I've been renting year to year. My landlord did not yet send me a lease to sign this year. Can I break it and not have to pay the remainder?

longneck

when you say "year to year", do you mean that you have a written lease with an auto-renew clause? if so, then no, you can not break your lease without getting a written agreement from your landlord.

but if your lease does not have an auto-renew clause, then you are now a month-to-month renter. simply give the written notice required to terminate a month-to-month agreement.

since you did not post your state, you're on your own to find out what that is.

acmb05

something to the effect

That the lease is a yearly lease with renewel to be automatic unless specified in writing 30 days before lease ends.

bella99

it does not say that. but this is the 5th year i've lived here. i only signed the first year. the landlord just sends me a copy of the lease with updated dates, but i never sign them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">