• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I charge storage fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hansen992

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

When I signed my lease I was understanding that the landlord still had a ton of stuff stored at the house but the agreement was that it would be moved out within a month. However, I moved in on March 1, 2010 and she still has a lot of stuff here and has not removed any of her belongings in over a month. Can I serve her notice that I will deduct storage charges in a reasonable amount from rent if the remainder of her personal property is not removed within 30 days?

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

hansen992

first are you on a fixed term lease or M2M ? Month to Month and do you have a copy of the lease ? YES

And the lease does not speak to her personal property being stored and lists the "dwelling located at:..."

FarmerJ

If your not a month to month renter then first plan on her not renewing the lease if you do this , send to her a certified letter , in the letter remind her of her agreement then state what your lease doesnt , say , tell her no part of the lease denys you full use of the rental unit by excluding the areas her things are stored in. That this is her notice that if the things are not removed from the property in 30 days you will treat them as if they are abandoned and dispose of them. Keep a extra copy with a extra copy of your lease in a safety deposit box as well as a copy of the certified receipt and take pics of the things for your records and again store the pics off premise. She may get real mad BUT too bad she should have excluded part of the property from your use if she was going to store things there. BTW from now on no more spoken conversations with her about repairs or any other legit business as a tenant that you must communicate with her, use mailed letters certified or at the very lease confirmed mail delivery for lesser issues to create paper trails. Paper trails in court are invaluable

hansen992

Thank you for your sound advice. She will be coming to make repairs on May 19th so I will serve her notice then. I have everything drafted up so that no mater which way she turns I will be prepared.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">