• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I deposit the Security Deposit Refund Check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samson_y

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

What I would like to know is if I have a security deposit refund check and I am planning to file a small claims with the landlord for deducting unnecessary charges from my deposit, am I still able to deposit the check? I heard from a friend that if I had deposited the check and still wanted to file a claim, it would be more difficult or that it would no longer be valid if I cashed the refund check they gave me. Is that true or can I cash the check and still file the claim? The check itself does not seem to have an expiration date and I would like to be able to use the $550 that was refunded. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Mrs. D

Go ahead and cash the check. If it says something like "paid in full" on it, then you have a different story. The amount he paid you and the amount you're disputing are separate. Keep a copy of the check for your records.

samson_y

Go ahead and cash the check. If it says something like "paid in full" on it, then you have a different story. The amount he paid you and the amount you're disputing are separate. Keep a copy of the check for your records.
What do you mean by if it said "paid in full"? All it says on the memo line is the address to the apartment and the apartment number and "sec dep refund." Also, thank you for your reply.

lauras2u

look on the back and make sure there isnt something written there about cashing the check is a settlement, in champaign, illinois, where i went to school, printing that on a check was a common practice

samson_y

look on the back and make sure there isnt something written there about cashing the check is a settlement, in champaign, illinois, where i went to school, printing that on a check was a common practice
Okay, thanks a lot! The front or back of the check doesn't have a statement saying anything of that sort, so it seems I am fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">