• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I do a legal holdover?....NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvmurray28

I am living in Hudson County, NJ...
I am due to move out of my unit as July 31, 2009 per my lease. I have paid my rent on time for the entire stay and I have had no problems. Now that this is the last month my landlord started acting strange and complaining. This started July 1, 2009..I thought this was strange and she kept asking if I had rec'd anything from the bank regarding my security deposit. Here come to find out she placed my security deposit in an interest bearing acct per NJ Law back when I moved in August of 08, but according to the statement I rec'd from the bank. She spent my security deposit back in Sept of 2008. She didn't even let it sit for a month. The only thing left from my 1400.00 is 100.00 in this acct. Am I legally able to send a certified letter and request to use my security deposit for August of 2009. Today she called and left a message stating that is going to start the eviction process...How can she when all my rent is paid up until July of 2009?..technically I have this unit until July 31, 2009 not to mention she spent my security. Any suggestions?....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">