• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Evict Tenants?help Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debied123

What is the name of your state?NYS
I own a 2 apartment house in which I live in the lower apartment.When my current tenants who I want to evict now,wanted to rent the apartment 6 mos. ago,they asked if dogs(3) were allowed.I asked if they were quiet and well behaved.They ASSURED me they were.Within a week they aquired a 4th dog(without permission,but I didnt gripe either)The dogs bark and fight alot!When the tenants are gone its NONSTOP barking.One of them IS vicious and has bitten my son.I cant have my doors open,coz it comes in barking viciously,trying to bite me,and did his business on my floor.(hes small but dangerous)
Tenants agreed to pay rent on 1st of each month as I told them that the electric(in my name) HAS to be paid by 1st.They have never been on time,forcing me to borrow money to pay electric on time.(I live on very limited income)
Tenants washer overflowed causing extensive damage to my kitchen ceiling downstairs,and who knows what unseen long term damage to insulation and wiring.(I didnt gripe again and they didnt even apologize)
When tenants were moving in,they asked if they could move some furniture to the garage as they had their own.I agreed.But they removed the heater too(without consent)They said they wanted to put a smaller one in to make more room for their furniture.They didnt,and with the wet season we've had,Im afraid my heater may not work,but I wont know until they move out and I have to hook it up for new tenants.

Questions:
1.Can I legally evict them?I figure yes,but want to be sure here.
2.Can I just write up an eviction paper and personally give it to them with witnesses?I never had to do this before.
2.How many days do I have to give them?(Im moving out and the people moving in my apartment have a 3 year old,and I fear for his safety because of dogs.)
3.Can I withold security($200.00) until I know the heater will still work?I will have to pay someone to move it and hook it back up.
4.How do I figure how much to withold for ceiling damage?
5.If I have to return security,how soon do I have to return it?
These are probably stupid questions,but my husband always dealt with this stuff and hes no longer here.Sorry this is so long.
Thanks for any help you can offer
Deb

HomeGuru

debied123 said:
What is the name of your state?NYS
I own a 2 apartment house in which I live in the lower apartment.When my current tenants who I want to evict now,wanted to rent the apartment 6 mos. ago,they asked if dogs(3) were allowed.I asked if they were quiet and well behaved.They ASSURED me they were.Within a week they aquired a 4th dog(without permission,but I didnt gripe either)The dogs bark and fight alot!When the tenants are gone its NONSTOP barking.One of them IS vicious and has bitten my son.I cant have my doors open,coz it comes in barking viciously,trying to bite me,and did his business on my floor.(hes small but dangerous)
Tenants agreed to pay rent on 1st of each month as I told them that the electric(in my name) HAS to be paid by 1st.They have never been on time,forcing me to borrow money to pay electric on time.(I live on very limited income)
Tenants washer overflowed causing extensive damage to my kitchen ceiling downstairs,and who knows what unseen long term damage to insulation and wiring.(I didnt gripe again and they didnt even apologize)
When tenants were moving in,they asked if they could move some furniture to the garage as they had their own.I agreed.But they removed the heater too(without consent)They said they wanted to put a smaller one in to make more room for their furniture.They didnt,and with the wet season we've had,Im afraid my heater may not work,but I wont know until they move out and I have to hook it up for new tenants.

Questions:
1.Can I legally evict them?I figure yes,but want to be sure here.
2.Can I just write up an eviction paper and personally give it to them with witnesses?I never had to do this before.
2.How many days do I have to give them?(Im moving out and the people moving in my apartment have a 3 year old,and I fear for his safety because of dogs.)
3.Can I withold security($200.00) until I know the heater will still work?I will have to pay someone to move it and hook it back up.
4.How do I figure how much to withold for ceiling damage?
5.If I have to return security,how soon do I have to return it?
These are probably stupid questions,but my husband always dealt with this stuff and hes no longer here.Sorry this is so long.
Thanks for any help you can offer
Deb

**A: either hire a real estate attorney or research the L/T laws and follow them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">