+ Reply to Thread
    qe4thesg is offline Junior Member

can i get out of lease before i move in

What is the name of your state? wi

i signed a lease for an apartment in mid feb - the lease showed that i would be going into apartment 209 on march 4th. this information is on every lease document that i have signed. march 1st she emailed me to explain that the apartment would not be available at that date - that it would be an apartment in a different unit - and the date was pushed back by a week.

i have paid no money - including rent/security deposit - and have not picked up the keys or moved in - she says that i am legally responsible to live in this apartment - do i have any options... please help.
    CraigFL is offline Member
    Does your lease agreement allow for them to change the unit? I would suspect that it doesn't since you would have your personal reasons for choosing the unit you did...
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Did your lease document specify that EXACT unit?
    If so, then it seems to me that the LL is the one who breached this agreement.
    Who's Liable? is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    Did your lease document specify that EXACT unit?
    If so, then it seems to me that the LL is the one who breached this agreement.
    X2... It would be a breach of contract if the LL specified a unit that will not be available. Look at your states LL/T laws as some allow a tenant to legally break a lease if a specified unit was not available.
    Hot Topic is offline Senior Member
    If every document you signed refers to your being a tenant of Apartment #209 effective March 4th, then you have no obligation to move into Apartment #311 March 11th. The landlord might have have an out if it was in writing that she reserved the right to change the unit, but I can't imagine a tenant agreeing to that.
    qe4thesg is offline Junior Member
    every document i signed had the original apartment listed on the form - i looked at all the forms i signed and it doesnt say anything that they could change the apartment on me. i signed the lease weeks before i moved in - i liked that apartment - and was not even able to see the unit prior to move in -