• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I have a lock on my door?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ynbjsc

just contact the owner. tell her your story and tell her firmly that you are not comfortable with the situation it is and you want to get the lock, put it in writing just in case. I don't think it a big deal. you are paying rent for your room. nobody has any business in your room. It is a pretty reasonable request. I don't think the owner has anything to lose but a free lock, and she'd keep the tenant happy. I'd like my tenant happy and comfortable, making the place like a home for themselves as long as they pay rent and take care of the place. I pay for the materials if tenant want to add something to the property. you need to provide landlord with the key.

velvetpoet7

Granny -
OP - do you have a written agreement with anyone...and if "yes", with who?
yes, i signed a rental contract with the "landlord", NOT the person i make my rent check out to. the "landlord" is merely overseeing the house for the owner, and handling all roommate issues. the owner knows about all 3 roommates.

velvetpoet7

The only person who can give permission to alter the house (by adding a lock to the door), and the only person who can require a key to that lock, is the OWNER of the property. The roommate does not have any right to access OP's area of the house, she is not the owner or landlord no matter how bossy she may act. And OP does not have to advise that roommate of the plan to add a lock, nor ask her permission.

There is not prime tenant/sub tenants, OP pays rent directly to the owner.
ok, there are 3 people in the house:

1 me-who wants the lock
2 roommate-who is coming into my room
3 "landlord"-person in charge of house issues but doesnt own it

then there is the owner, who i make my rent check out to, but i never see.

so i can put a lock on without even telling her?
wow i bet that would piss her off. thats why i was wanting some kind of documentation that says i can do it...

Just Blue

ok, there are 3 people in the house:

1 me-who wants the lock
2 roommate-who is coming into my room
3 "landlord"-person in charge of house issues but doesnt own it

then there is the owner, who i make my rent check out to, but i never see.

so i can put a lock on without even telling her?
wow i bet that would piss her off. thats why i was wanting some kind of documentation that says i can do it...
Get permission from the OWNER of the home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">