• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I just leave without notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajavokalas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? England, UK.

I'm a subtenant who pays rent to a tenant who in turn pays rent to the landlord. Landlord gave permission for tenant to do this. We have a verbal agreement, no lease was ever signed. I paid £100 deposit.

Originally tenant and I agreed to pay a monthly rent of £300 and I would stay there for 12 months. I stayed for 1 month. After paying a cheque for month 2, several days later tenant and I had an argument. He wanted me to pay an extra £34 per month and lied to me that my mobile broadband uses his phone line so I am suppose to pay towards TV license and phone line by law. I later found out this is all lies as mobile broadband uses cellular network.

At the time he said "either you pay or I'll give you your deposit back and you can leave tomorrow morning." and he also said "you have 15 minutes to decide" when I asked for several days to make an informed decision. Out of fear of being kicked out I verbally agreed to pay the extra rent and started to find somewhere else to live. Can I just leave at the end of this month without giving notice as he is the one who did not live up to our initial verbal agreement?

Several days ago he found out I was looking for elsewhere to live. I told him I had financial difficulties and cannot live there anymore and that was one of the reasons, and because I don't want to be thrown out of the house before I can secure a place properly I verbally agreed that I would pay next month's rent if he can't find someone to replace me.

So far I have been actively searching for people to view my room and the tenant doesn't seem to give a damn about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">