• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I kick my boyfriend out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jen needs help

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I need to know what my rights are. I let my boyfriend move into my new house that I am renting. I am the lease holder and he is listed with my kids as people not on the lease but allowed to be there. He has bi polar and takes heavy meds for it and has been drinking alcohol heavily. This sets him inot 2 - 3 day episdoes where he texts, emails and calls me non stop saying horrible things about me and to me and calls the police on me repeatedly for nothing. They arrive and see that he is messed up and not making sense and ask me what I want them to do with him. But they can't do anything unless he is physically threatening to me or threatening suicide and admits it to them. My kids had to be up until 3 am last night because he called the police back 3 times and the kids had to give statements. I can't live like this anymore. We have no written agreement but we have been living there for 3 weeks and he has had his mail sent there. What rights do I have and what rights does he have? Can I throw him out? Can I throw his stuff out? Thanks for your help. I am afraid to go home.

applecruncher

Your kids are victims of YOUR bad choices. You alone created this mess.
No, you can't throw him or his stuff out.
Your landlord must follow the legal eviction process.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I need to know what my rights are. I let my boyfriend move into my new house that I am renting. I am the lease holder and he is listed with my kids as people not on the lease but allowed to be there. He has bi polar and takes heavy meds for it and has been drinking alcohol heavily. This sets him inot 2 - 3 day episdoes where he texts, emails and calls me non stop saying horrible things about me and to me and calls the police on me repeatedly for nothing. They arrive and see that he is messed up and not making sense and ask me what I want them to do with him. But they can't do anything unless he is physically threatening to me or threatening suicide and admits it to them. My kids had to be up until 3 am last night because he called the police back 3 times and the kids had to give statements. I can't live like this anymore. We have no written agreement but we have been living there for 3 weeks and he has had his mail sent there. What rights do I have and what rights does he have? Can I throw him out? Can I throw his stuff out? Thanks for your help. I am afraid to go home.
Your kids are victims of YOUR bad choices. You alone created this mess.
No, you can't throw him or his stuff out.
Your landlord must follow the legal eviction process.
Doubtful that the LL is going to do anything about this, since the person is an authorized occupant according to the lease. It's a personal issue between co-occupants that they will have to work out themselves. Because YOU are not his LL, YOU have no authorization to evict him yourself.

You can't throw him or his stuff out - he has every right to occupy the premises as you do because you kindly added him to the lease agreement.

Sounds like you needed to be a little more selective next time in who you choose to live with in unwedded bliss. applecruncher is correct in that YOU made the bad decision to move this unstable person in with you and your kids. Now you have to live with that choice until such time as he becomes a danger to himself or others (in the legal sense).

And while inconvenient as hell, I find it really hard to believe that you didn't see this coming. If he being prescribed "heavy meds" as you put it, then the signals were there. And if he is drinking, then he is probably NOT taking his meds, or the alcohol is exacerbating his symptoms.

You're going to have to figure out a different solution to your problem.

justalayman

I disagree with the others. You are the leaseholder and as such, can control the occupancy of the unit. The inclusion of the guy on the lease as a resident does not give him rights of a leaseholder/tenant. He is simply a resident. That means the LL could not evict you or him unless the lease was breached in some way but it does not mean you cannot evict him because you are in effect his LL.

evict him. If it isn't allowed, the courts will not order it.

xylene

Can't leave him cause you are not married!?

Sounds like you needed to be a little more selective next time in who you choose to live with in unwedded bliss.
I fail to see how forcing a mentally ill alcoholic who is rapidly decompensating to leave a household would be easier if the parties involved were married.

Perhaps you could enlighten me / us.

Are you saying that marriage and the covenant with god would have cured his mental illness and freed him from the grip of addiction?

or

That no one ever married a person with hidden defects of the mind, or had their mental illness worsens after binding themselves before the state and a god of their choice?

Which is it? Just curious.

Sarcasm aside, the reality is that the poster is much better of NOT being married, and could seek the help of a woman's assistant group or shelter...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">