• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I kick my roommate out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uncontentgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Los Angeles, CA. I moved in to a two-bedroom duplex more than 3 years ago and signed the lease, which was month-by-month. Just this february, a new roommate moved in and signed the lease as well, month-to-month. Thing is, my boyfriend and I just got engaged and would like to live together starting this summer. We would like to live at my place since it is very close to where we each work and since I have lived there for so long, it is my home and I love it. I want my roommate to move out so that my boyfriend could move in. How would I go about kicking my roommate out?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I live in Los Angeles, CA. I moved in to a two-bedroom duplex more than 3 years ago and signed the lease, which was month-by-month. Just this february, a new roommate moved in and signed the lease as well, month-to-month. Thing is, my boyfriend and I just got engaged and would like to live together starting this summer. We would like to live at my place since it is very close to where we each work and since I have lived there for so long, it is my home and I love it. I want my roommate to move out so that my boyfriend could move in. How would I go about kicking my roommate out?
You can't...you're not the roomie's LL

Just Blue

You could offer the roomie some $$ to end his/her tenancy. Offer to pay for moving and perhaps a months rent if roomie will accommodate you.

HomeGuru

**A: did you and roommate sign a lease and rent from L, or did roommate rent from you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">