• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I (Landlord) withdraw a Lease agreement not returned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jamr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Can I withdraw a signed by me lease agreement sent to tenant that has not been signed nor returned to me?

justalayman

If there is no date/time limit stated in the lease, If you withdraw it before they sign it. Of course if you give notice to withdraw the lease, don't be surprised if they say; we already signed it, even if they actually hadn't. Proving the had not would be difficult.

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Can I withdraw a signed by me lease agreement sent to tenant that has not been signed nor returned to me?
Yes.

Here's how I suggest you do it.

Go pay a visit to the people (assuming they are local). Bring the withdrawal letter. Take a witness with you who is willing and able to testify in court if need be.

Say: "Hi, have you signed the lease yet?"

If they say yes, you're stuck, get the signed lease and go home.

If they say no, you say "Well, here's my letter to you, dated today, withdrawing my offer to lease you my property. Have a nice day."

Oh, make sure you've kept a copy of your letter.

In the future, don't mail leases to prospective tenants. Meet personally at your property. If they aren't willing to sign on the spot and write you a check, don't leave the lease with them, go find somebody else to rent to.

If they call and want the property "OK, meet me at the property, bring X dollars, and we'll sign the lease together.

Appears you have a lot to learn about being a landlord.

LdiJ

Yes.

Here's how I suggest you do it.

Go pay a visit to the people (assuming they are local). Bring the withdrawal letter. Take a witness with you who is willing and able to testify in court if need be.

Say: "Hi, have you signed the lease yet?"

If they say yes, you're stuck, get the signed lease and go home.

If they say no, you say "Well, here's my letter to you, dated today, withdrawing my offer to lease you my property. Have a nice day."

Oh, make sure you've kept a copy of your letter.

In the future, don't mail leases to prospective tenants. Meet personally at your property. If they aren't willing to sign on the spot and write you a check, don't leave the lease with them, go find somebody else to rent to.

If they call and want the property "OK, meet me at the property, bring X dollars, and we'll sign the lease together.

Appears you have a lot to learn about being a landlord.
I agree with this but will add...if you have a situation where the prospective tenant is not local, and you have to mail or email the lease to them to sign, then simply do NOT sign it yourself before sending it to them. Let them sign it first and then return to them a signed copy after you sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">