• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I legally break my lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moafownzyou

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Hi. I was wanting to know if I could legally break my lease from the apartment I currently live in due to ongoing noise disturbance from relatively new neighbors.

About a month and a half ago new neighbors moved into the apartment next door to me. Since they've moved in, they spend atleast 2 week nights(Sunday-Thursday) and Friday and Saturday outside drinking with many friends they invite over.They are very loud whether they're on their porch or on the dock that's a little bit away from our apartment building. Yes, you can even hear them when they're there. This usually starts anywhere from 7pm-9pm and doesn't stop until anywhere from 2am-4am. It happens atleast 4 times a week. I've asked them to stop, I have an 18 month old little girl and it keeps her from going to bed on time (the walls are paper thin, you can hear everything that's going outside even when people aren't being intentionally noisy). Not to mention it's just downright disrespectful to your neighbors. I've complained to the apartment management since their second week living next door and was told something would be done about it. It has not stopped yet. I do not want to remain living here if I'm constantly going to have to deal with the noise all night into early morning. I just renewed my lease to extend from july this year until the end of june next year.

Am I able to vacate without being legally bound to pay the entire remaining year on my lease if this situation still continues to be ignored by the apartment management?

thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">