• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I legally make my roommate move out (my parents own the unit)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

student113

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I am from California.

I live in a condo my parents own, and we rent out one of the rooms to a tenant. I just do NOT get along with my new roommate, for reasons I don't want to go into. I really do not want to live with her anymore, so I'm wondering if there's any way for me to make her move out despite her having signed a 1 year lease? She hasn't broken any provisions in the lease so I can't really evict her, but I'm wondering if the fact that I have to live WITH her changes anything.

I would really appreciate any help. It's only been a month and I can't imagine going through another 11 months with her here.

Thanks

justalayman

if she has a year long lease, unless you have (or actually her landlord) justification to evict her for breaking the lease, sounds like you simply need to figure out how to live with her.

FarmerJ

If roomate has not violated the actual lease you are free to offer this person enough money to make it worth while to move out , YES pay them to move. You might have to explain to your parents exactly what the problem is but then again another choice is to just learn to live with this person and hope and pray that they decide to break the lease early and leave on own. No that doesnt mean you can provoke the person to leave early, Last choice is that YOU move into a new place that you can afford to live in alone then your parents can replace you with a new tenant in the condo.

Banned_Princess

The fact that you have to live with her changes nothing.

You cannot legally evict the roommate on a lease without good cause (serious violation of the lease) , ESPECIALLY in CA.

HatRack

=IF=you are the LL that would change things =IF= this was a month to month agreement

You are not the LL nor is this a M2M contract.

Cash for keys, or pay her to leave is the only option I see available. Other than you moving out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">