• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i legally withhold my rent and move? Or do i have other options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strawberry462

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I have lived on the property going on 5 years now. My landlord has known about my broken stove since the 5th of january 2017. He had a repair man come out and take a look and he told me it was not a problem he could fix and he would let the landlord know i would need a new stove. My lease states that they are responsible for such repairs and in missouri i think they have an allotted two weeks for repairs. I also have a health code violation in my living room which is the ceiling cracking and caving in from the weather getting into the roof/ attic area. There is mold growing on the ceiling from the water and water leaking onto the ceiling. They have known about it since sept. 1st. I have two infants and a 9 year old living in the home as well. I am just wanting to vacate the property and move to a better location due to what i feel is my landlord violating our lease. My lease is up march 1 but i do not want to pay rent for another month when i paid this months rent and have not even had either problems dealt with.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I have lived on the property going on 5 years now. My landlord has known about my broken stove since the 5th of january 2017. He had a repair man come out and take a look and he told me it was not a problem he could fix and he would let the landlord know i would need a new stove. My lease states that they are responsible for such repairs and in missouri i think they have an allotted two weeks for repairs. I also have a health code violation in my living room which is the ceiling cracking and caving in from the weather getting into the roof/ attic area. There is mold growing on the ceiling from the water and water leaking onto the ceiling. They have known about it since sept. 1st. I have two infants and a 9 year old living in the home as well. I am just wanting to vacate the property and move to a better location due to what i feel is my landlord violating our lease. My lease is up march 1 but i do not want to pay rent for another month when i paid this months rent and have not even had either problems dealt with.
You want to get the housing inspections department out to inspect the home for habitability. If they deem it inhabitable you must move out and the landlord cannot penalize you for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">