• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I leglassy dispose of someone else's property - Michigan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenjen5917

Can I legally dispose of someone else's property - Michigan?

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am trying to find out legally I can dispose of my ex boyfriends property? Back in July he moved all of his stuff up to Michigan with the intent to move in. This never happened....as I seen what a mistake it was going to be, and quickly put a nix to it. However.....since 7/4/03 his belongings have been stored in my garage. I have contacted him several times to find out when he will come get his stuff.....and receive a response "I don't have the money....hopefully by November" I'm sorry....but I'm not free storage!!! Yesterday I walked into the garage to get the lawn mower...and seen a big huge bug run when I opened the garage door. I freeked (saw more than 1) and called my girlfriend...apparently now I have "roaches". I spent $40 last night buying everything I could to kill them (hopefully it worked)...but because the garage is so packed full of his junk....they could be hiding anywhere. I called him yesterday frantically...stating that he had until Thursday garbage day to get this stuff out of here....or I would do it for him (care of the garbage man).

However...now I'm wondering legally if I can do this. I am not waiting until Nov. to get this stuff out of here....and he needs to take his pets with him!!!!

HELP!!!!!

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Search your state govt webpage with its search tab and put in words abandoned property and see what it tells you . what ever your states law for abandoned property is you will need to follow it to prevent your self from being taken to court in a civil suit because you didnt follow state law and disposed of the things , BTW telling someone orally isnt considered a proper notice .

J

jenjen5917

I have sent him several emails....including the reply to his "maybe by November". Is email considered by law? Or should I send him a certified letter to his work?

JETX

Send your boyfriend a very nice letter (certified RRR) asking him to contact you within 10 days of receipt to arrange for removing his property. Include a statement that if he doesn't recover his property within 30 days, you will dispose of it without any recourse.

Then, on the 31st day, call your favorite charity, get a receipt and send it to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">