• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I serve 72 hour notice after serving 60 day notice? (Oregon)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slr29er

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

We have a tenant who is (among other things) chronically late on the rent, and getting later. We've given 72 hour notices the prior two months, and he's paid right before we go to court to file for the eviction.

We feel it's time to terminate the contract, so we plan to serve the required 60-day no-cause notice to terminate the contract (he's a month-to-month renter who's been in the apartment for almost 4 years).

My question is this ... when he's late with the rent next month (within that 60 day period), can we serve another 72-hour notice for non-payment, and proceed with eviction prior to the end of the 60 day period?

Honestly, if Oregon still allowed a 30 day no-cause notice in this situation I wouldn't even bother with the 72-hour notice for non-payment. But I'm trying to figure out how we can get him out of there without losing 2+ months rent.

FarmerJ

Once you have issued the notice to vacate even with that if a tenant doesnt pay your still free to follow your states law for non payment tenants and follow through on it and if the tenant doesnt have the full rent and your court filing fees once you have filed for eviction dont settle for one dime less. Tenant will just be gone sooner if they let it go to court and refuse to pay. Dont be surprised in the end if you have to take tenant to court as well if they overstay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">