• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i sue my landlord if my apartment is robbed ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nene2406

NEW Jersey. i' ve moved in this building (12 units -3 floors) in nov.2008.in feb.i found my door open,someone came from the window,coz there was the ladder on the wall and i found the random pic on my digital camera,man's sneakers,i was shocked and i notified my landlord,asked him to put the cameras in the building and also to put the bars on my windows,i have a little son and i was scared to stay here night time,on may21,i came home and my whole place was robbed found all my things scattered on the floor,and everything was stolen,jewelry worth of more than $7000 and all the electornics and my son's playstations(2 and Wi).smb came from the bedroom window,they removed the bars from the wall with the screwdriver,(it's not even a real window bar,it's a kid's safety door,which is easy breakable.) and after this nobody took any actions to put the cameras ,on may 29 exactly week after my burglery, we found 6 doors drilled in the building ,but nobody could break in,...i'm wondering if i have the right to sue him for negligence ,not taking the appropriate actions to avoid all the happening .....?!?!?! or who is responsible for all that has happened to me ..please respond..thanks

Antigone*

NEW Jersey. i' ve moved in this building (12 units -3 floors) in nov.2008.in feb.i found my door open,someone came from the window,coz there was the ladder on the wall and i found the random pic on my digital camera,man's sneakers,i was shocked and i notified my landlord,asked him to put the cameras in the building and also to put the bars on my windows,i have a little son and i was scared to stay here night time,on may21,i came home and my whole place was robbed found all my things scattered on the floor,and everything was stolen,jewelry worth of more than $7000 and all the electornics and my son's playstations(2 and Wi).smb came from the bedroom window,they removed the bars from the wall with the screwdriver,(it's not even a real window bar,it's a kid's safety door,which is easy breakable.) and after this nobody took any actions to put the cameras ,on may 29 exactly week after my burglery, we found 6 doors drilled in the building ,but nobody could break in,...i'm wondering if i have the right to sue him for negligence ,not taking the appropriate actions to avoid all the happening .....?!?!?! or who is responsible for all that has happened to me ..please respond..thanks
You have no course of action against your landlord. He is under no obligation to install cameras.

What happened when you called the insurance company that handles your renters insurance?

BL

Also ,this is not a site for chat language . Express yourself with English words formed into sentences.

You do not mention if there were locks on the windows and if so ,you locked them ,or was the window broken to gain entry .

What does you local ordnances state about window guards ?

Is the Entrances door(s) and Apt. entrance door(s)/ windows otherwise secured properly ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">