• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can landlord charge for the rest of a breached lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krysb

I live in Maryland, PG county.
I have been searching for tennants to fill the spot because my job is slow and I cannot afford this housing any longer. The people that I have shown and wanted to sign the lease, have not wanted to after talking to the landlord. I found out from one of these prospects that the landlord was saying that im trying to cheat him out of money (since HE said I had 25k) and trying to breach the contract to save money to move to Brasil. Truth was is that I had 20K when I moved in but had several bills and that i am moving to my dads to save money and then move to Brasil. This landlord also turned away other prospects for other tennants wanting to get out of their lease due to lack of money.

This months rent check just bounced and I am wondering if I should just not pay and let him evict me, forfeiting my security deposit. I am also worried that he will try to sue me for the whole contract. Im curious if he has the right?

As a side problem I have a pet deposit of 500 for two lizards in 55gal tank that have not done any damage. Could he keep this amount of money? I dont believe so.. but then again he could sue for the contract....

Sorry for the longness but thank you in advance for all the help,
Chris

Banned_Princess

I live in Maryland, PG county.
I have been searching for tennants to fill the spot because my job is slow and I cannot afford this housing any longer. The people that I have shown and wanted to sign the lease, have not wanted to after talking to the landlord. I found out from one of these prospects that the landlord was saying that im trying to cheat him out of money (since HE said I had 25k) and trying to breach the contract to save money to move to Brasil. Truth was is that I had 20K when I moved in but had several bills and that i am moving to my dads to save money and then move to Brasil. This landlord also turned away other prospects for other tennants wanting to get out of their lease due to lack of money.

This months rent check just bounced and I am wondering if I should just not pay and let him evict me, forfeiting my security deposit. I am also worried that he will try to sue me for the whole contract. Im curious if he has the right?

As a side problem I have a pet deposit of 500 for two lizards in 55gal tank that have not done any damage. Could he keep this amount of money? I dont believe so.. but then again he could sue for the contract....

Sorry for the longness but thank you in advance for all the help,
Chris
If you are going to let him evict you for non payment, then absolutely you will not get any of any deposit back, and you will most likely have a judgment on your name at least if not your credit as well.

But yes, if you are evicted for non payment, the lease is voided and you are demanded to move, and probably the money you owe him in rent is covered by the deposit, and you better be sure the LL will then try to sue you for damages, you better have pretty comprehensive pictures of a perfect place. .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">