• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a landlord come into your apartment without asking?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kinzzy

I live in West Virginia. My landlord came into my apartment yesterday, Without anyone being home. It does say in the lease that they can come in if they have to use a key or force. But I want to know if this is really legal. I heard that they can't do that. I am VERY upset knowing that someone came in to my home without anyone being here.

Banned_Princess

I live in West Virginia. My landlord came into my apartment yesterday, Without anyone being home. It does say in the lease that they can come in if they have to use a key or force. But I want to know if this is really legal. I heard that they can't do that. I am VERY upset knowing that someone came in to my home without anyone being here.
then why did you sign a lease saying it's ok?

the lease wins over state law when one is in effect. except in some cases, and this isnt one of them.

Gail in Georgia

Generally, a landlord has to give notice (typically 24 hours) prior to entering a unit.

Exceptions would be for an emergency repair issue (for example, someone smelled gas) or the tenant themselves requested a repair, granting permission for someone to enter the unit to address the repair request.

If no one was home, how do you know the landlord came in?

Gail

Who's Liable?

No they cannot, unless it is a VALID emergency. All other times they MUST provide a minimum 24 hours(48 in some states) notice to enter.

Repeated failures to do so can result in tenants suing for harassment OR tenants can call the police and report a break-in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">