• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a landlord demand only cash for rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IanW

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Hello,

I signed a one-year lease where the lease terms stipulated that the rent was to be paid in cash only. I understand that she did that for tax purposes, but i did not think much else about it, especially since I like the place and got a very good deal on the rent. However,
I have learned that I qualify for rental assistance through my state. This means that the state will send me a check to apply towards my rent. The check will be in both my name and the landlord's name. We have to both sign it, and then she is required to cash it.

I have not yet spoken with her, and I have absolutley no idea what her reaction might be. but I am anticipating the worst case scenario. What I would like to know is whether or not she can refuse to accept the check.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in this matter.

IanWhat is the name of your state?

IanW said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland
Hello,

I signed a one-year lease where the lease terms stipulated that the rent was to be paid in cash only. I understand that she did that for tax purposes, but i did not think much else about it, especially since I like the place and got a very good deal on the rent. However,
I have learned that I qualify for rental assistance through my state. This means that the state will send me a check to apply towards my rent. The check will be in both my name and the landlord's name. We have to both sign it, and then she is required to cash it.

I have not yet spoken with her, and I have absolutley no idea what her reaction might be. but I am anticipating the worst case scenario. What I would like to know is whether or not she can refuse to accept the check.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in this matter.

IanWhat is the name of your state?
You answered your own question:

I signed a one-year lease where the lease terms stipulated that the rent was to be paid in cash only.

IanW

What if the landlord is in violation of fire code regulations? This is a basment apartment and there is no window available for escape in the bedroom. Is this sufficient grounds to break the lease?

BL

IanW said:
What if the landlord is in violation of fire code regulations? This is a basment apartment and there is no window available for escape in the bedroom. Is this sufficient grounds to break the lease?

First off if the basement is illegal to rent , she has no grounds to collect rent .

Secondly , if it was legal , I don't believe the LL could refuse the rental assistance . The Court most likely would side with you , as anything put in a lease against State Laws are invalid .

Third , I hope you receive rent receipts .

Fourth , now you have to determine if the place is illegal , and if so weather you want to continue to stay or not .

IanW

Thank you for your reply.

I have only been here one month and have a receipt.

How do I determine for certain if the basement is in violation of fire codes? Are fire codes the same for every state? How do I find them for my state, MD?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BL

http://lhi5.umbc.edu/dhcd2/

Minimum Livability Code Regulations

(6) Emergency Escape. Each sleeping room located in a basement shall have at least one openable window or exterior door for emergency egress or rescue which has received all necessary and legally required approvals or shall have access to two separate exits which have received all necessary and legally required approvals.

try looking through here .

Last edited:

Gum_Drop

by asking for cash only, she may have had prior tenants who stuck her with a bad check, and may not have any bearings at on a check coming from a local governemnt agency. Why not just ask?

john123456 said:
You answered your own question:

I signed a one-year lease where the lease terms stipulated that the rent was to be paid in cash only.

Poster:

Please post back with the outcome.

acmb05

IanW said:
Thank you for your reply.

I have only been here one month and have a receipt.

How do I determine for certain if the basement is in violation of fire codes? Are fire codes the same for every state? How do I find them for my state, MD?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Don't worry about that. When the state sends someone out to check the apartment before giving you the section 8 rental assistance they will tell you if it is a legal apartment or not. They will also tell the landlord everything they has to be done to bring it up to thier standards.

Just because you qualify for rental assistance does not mean they will allow the apartment you are living in now.

LindaP777

acmb05 said:
Just because you qualify for rental assistance does not mean they will allow the apartment you are living in now.
And doesn't mean the Landlord will accept Section 8.

elsieshup said:
by asking for cash only, she may have had prior tenants who stuck her with a bad check, and may not have any bearings at on a check coming from a local governemnt agency. Why not just ask?
Exactly what I was thinking.

BL

LindaP777 said:
And doesn't mean the Landlord will accept Section 8.

Exactly what I was thinking.
If the place is not legal , the LL should NOT be collecting any rent , and you should move out .

If it happens to be legal , the LL can either accept sec. 8 , or Deny it .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">