• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a landlord demand payment after a lease expires?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcarti

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Under my lease agreement, I am required to give a 60 day notice that I am not renewing my lease. However, there is no statement regarding default (ie, what will happen if a notice is not given within 60 days.) I turned in my notice 52 days before my lease expires, and now the company is demanding that i pay for the 8 "extra" days that I did not notify them. Am I legally obligated to pay for more than what my lease defines?

treese

You are required to give 60 days notice that you will be terminating your lease prior to your lease expiration date. If you fail to do so, you remain liable for the rent through the 60 day notice.

Check your lease. There is likely a clause that if proper notice is not given to terminate the lease, the lease either converts to a month to month lease or renews for another term.

Your lease does not truly expire unless and until proper written notice is given to terminate the lease. You are not paying for more than your lease defines, you are paying for the defined notice period per your lease.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And consider yourself lucky they are only charging for 8 days. Many (most) states would allow them to charge for an additional 30...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">