• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can landlord make me remove carpet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sara cantrell

California

I have lived in an apartment for roughly 5 years and am moving out this month. My manager has asked me to remove my own carpet and carry it to the dumpster. The reason he asked me to do this is that no dogs are allowed at the property, only cats, and I had a dog which he knew about. I also subletted the apartment for a year to a guy with a dog, which the manager knew about.

The carpet was old, aweful, and smelly when I moved in and we requested it to be replaced which he wouldnt do but did state it would be replaced when we move out. He says that his maintenance man will not remove carpet where dogs have lived and he will have to charge me to remove it, even though the maintenance guy will remove carpet where cats have lived. His request was to remove all the carpet and sweep the dust under it or I will be charged for the removal. Can he make me do this or should I do it because I had a dog when I wasnt supposed to?

ecmst12

You only need to return the apartment to the condition it was in when you moved in. Anything beyond that would be an IMPROVEMENT which you are not responsible for. Have the carpets professionally cleaned and leave it at that.

sara cantrell

Thanks emcst. Would he have any repercussions against me if I didnt remove it? Like keeping my deposit since the apartment doesnt allow dogs or subletting?

Mass_Shyster

California

I have lived in an apartment for roughly 5 years and am moving out this month. My manager has asked me to remove my own carpet and carry it to the dumpster. The reason he asked me to do this is that no dogs are allowed at the property, only cats, and I had a dog which he knew about. I also subletted the apartment for a year to a guy with a dog, which the manager knew about.

The carpet was old, aweful, and smelly when I moved in and we requested it to be replaced which he wouldnt do but did state it would be replaced when we move out. He says that his maintenance man will not remove carpet where dogs have lived and he will have to charge me to remove it, even though the maintenance guy will remove carpet where cats have lived. His request was to remove all the carpet and sweep the dust under it or I will be charged for the removal. Can he make me do this or should I do it because I had a dog when I wasnt supposed to?
It doesn't really seem like an unreasonable request.

LL's maintenance man will not remove the carpet where dogs have lived. LL will need to pay someone else to remove the carpet.

BL

Get it in writing . Then remove the carpet and sweep clean .

If the LL agrees that you'll get your entire SD back if you do ,get it in writing ,signed and dated.

ecmst12

Regardless of what your lease says, if the LL allowed you to live there with the dog for 5 years without doing anything about it, then that was the same as if he'd given permission for the dog.

I happen to think it's not a particularly reasonable request, ripping up carpet is a messy and potentially dangerous job. If YOU think it's reasonable, go ahead and do it, but if you're not too keen on getting stuck by carpet tacks, I think you can fight it. The carpet needed to be trashed before you ever moved in, he has no business asking you to take care of HIS responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">