• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a landlord revoke "guest privileges"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BL

So, the new rules are in effect for the duration of the 30 day notice? Or does the landlord have to give notice of changes to rules at least 30 days prior to them taking effect?
You do not rent a separate rental unit .You do not have a written lease. You can continue to act immature and try to bully your wants and wishes through the remainder of tenancy , but do not be surprised by the local PD knocking on your door.

excavus

I actually don't find that absurd at all. When you are renting a room in someone's home you should know that having three friends over, even if you are all completely sober, is seriously pushing the envelope. You weren't sober, you were drunk. In addition you had your boyfriend a few nights a week. I suspect your landlord was already fed up with the boyfriend a few nights a week and the three drunk friends was the last straw for him/her.

Maybe you and your boyfriend should rent an apartment together so that you can do as you like.

There were no ground rules laid out. I was initially hesitant to bring anyone over, but he was very laissez faire about our arrangement and didn't seem bothered. I asked for permission many times and it had never been an issue to have visitors over before. I understood that I was new to the house and entering a place that others already called home.

But yes, I am in the process of finding my own place. Trust me, as a 24 year-old engineer, I'd rather be in my own house... not renting a room like I'm in college again.

quincy

So, the new rules are in effect for the duration of the 30 day notice? Or does the landlord have to give notice of changes to rules at least 30 days prior to them taking effect?
I do not think PaulMass read about "exceptions." And there are additional exceptions in your situation because you rented a room in a house owned and occupied by the homeowner/landlord.

With no written lease agreement in place, there was perhaps an unwritten understanding by the landlord that you would violate no laws and you would not disturb the quiet enjoyment of the premises for the other residents. I don't know.

But I am not seeing from what you have posted here that what the landlord has requested of you, after your less-than-month-long tenancy, is necessarily unreasonable or illegal.

TigerD, by the way, provided you with a link to Oregon's landlord/tenant laws. You might want to read through the Booklet. Here is a direct link: http://oregoncat.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Landlord-Tenant-Booklet-English-1-10.pdf

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Please reread the wording of my first post and tell me what is incorrect about it.

As a homeowner who has rented out a room in his house without a lease, the homeowner/now landlord CAN revoke privileges that were not spelled out in a written lease. For one example, if the tenant or his guests violate a law while in the house (e.g., use drugs), the homeowner/landlord can advise his tenant that the guests are no longer allowed in his house. What the guests do can affect the homeowner, not only the tenant.

As TigerD (Yay Detroit Tigers! ;)) has said, broad definitive statements rarely have a place in law. "Can" a landlord revoke unwritten privileges? Yes. Is it legal to do so? Possibly. It depends on the facts, of which we have little.
I'm willing to hazard a guess it's the Mizzou Tigers and not the Detroit Tigers. We all know it's not the Auburn Tigers/War Eagle!. :p

TigerD

I'm willing to hazard a guess it's the Mizzou Tigers and not the Detroit Tigers. We all know it's not the Auburn Tigers/War Eagle!. :p
Yes.
That would be a safe guess. So, who is going to represent the West against us this year?

TD

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yes.
That would be a safe guess. So, who is going to represent the West against us this year?

TD
Dude. That's such a 'Duh' question. The Tide*, of course. Think y'all can handle Nick? :p

(My uni isn't in the SEC, but in Pac12. Fear the Fork! We may yet make the playoffs. :cool:)

TigerD

Who are the Mizzou Tigers?

:p
Some people refer to them as gods among mere mortals. South Carolina speaks their names in hushed whispers with more than a little fear. Soon, the rest of you will know them simply as Champs.

TD

FarmerJ

https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1247_RightsDutiesLandlords.htm when a landlord wants to change terms of something like telling a tenant to get out / end a month to month rental it says > To end a month-to-month tenancy, you must give your tenant a 30-day written notice. If your tenant has lived in the dwelling for more than a year, you must give 60-days written notice. The tenant may also terminate the tenancy with a 30-day written notice. A week-to-week rental period requires a 10-day notice. A fixed term tenancy will end automatically on the last day of the term specified in the rental agreement.< SO if a landlord wants to change something like in Oregon like notice to vacate or say raising rent then they have to give proper notice . this next part https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1250_RentIncreases.htm relates to rent increases But its been my experience with oral month to month rentals if a landlord wanted to raise rent or change terms again state law is the guide >>Most tenants in Oregon have month-to-month rental agreements. If you have this type of tenancy, it means that you pay rent once a month and your rental agreement continues until either you or your landlord decides to end it. In a month-to-month tenancy, your landlord may increase the rent by giving you at least 30 days written notice of the rent increase. A rent increase may begin any time during a month. The rent for a month during which the rent increase takes effect would be prorated. Unless you can show that the rent increase is retaliatory, discriminatory or imposed in bad faith, you must pay the new rent. SO my deal here is with out a written lease spelling out this Original posters so called rules to follow and the LL has told the OP to get out then the LL cannot impose any other new rules with out proper notice in writing. in a month to month oral agreement the things that a LL can prove is first that the tenant knew how much to pay and to whom by doing it and landlord -tenant receipts regarding payment and deposit would be used to prove payments BUT ALL ELSE with out being in writing cannot be changed with out proper notice unless the tenant accepts LLs short notice BTW i did not see any special rulles allowing a owner occupant landlord to do something different so unless one of the others could find for you or you can find it your self a Oregon statute that permits change without proper notice to you then this is why I say LL cant just tell you no more visitors any more.

Last edited:

quincy

https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1247_RightsDutiesLandlords.htm when a landlord wants to change terms of something like telling a tenant to get out / end a month to month rental it says > To end a month-to-month tenancy, you must give your tenant a 30-day written notice. If your tenant has lived in the dwelling for more than a year, you must give 60-days written notice. The tenant may also terminate the tenancy with a 30-day written notice. A week-to-week rental period requires a 10-day notice. A fixed term tenancy will end automatically on the last day of the term specified in the rental agreement.< SO if a landlord wants to change something like in Oregon like notice to vacate or say raising rent then they have to give proper notice . this next part https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1250_RentIncreases.htm relates to rent increases But its been my experience with oral month to month rentals if a landlord wanted to raise rent or change terms again state law is the guide >>Most tenants in Oregon have month-to-month rental agreements. If you have this type of tenancy, it means that you pay rent once a month and your rental agreement continues until either you or your landlord decides to end it. In a month-to-month tenancy, your landlord may increase the rent by giving you at least 30 days written notice of the rent increase. A rent increase may begin any time during a month. The rent for a month during which the rent increase takes effect would be prorated. Unless you can show that the rent increase is retaliatory, discriminatory or imposed in bad faith, you must pay the new rent. SO my deal here is with out a written lease spelling out this Original posters so called rules to follow and the LL has told the OP to get out then the LL cannot impose any other new rules with out proper notice in writing. in a month to month oral agreement the things that a LL can prove is first that the tenant knew how much to pay and to whom by doing it and landlord -tenant receipts regarding payment and deposit would be used to prove payments BUT ALL ELSE with out being in writing cannot be changed with out proper notice unless the tenant accepts LLs short notice BTW i did not see any special rulles allowing a owner occupant landlord to do something different so unless one of the others could find for you or you can find it your self a Oregon statute that permits change without proper notice to you then this is why I say LL cant just tell you no more visitors any more.
And what terms have been changed? You have spoken a lot of rent increases and terminations of leases but the rent has not been changed and excavus, who has lived in the house less than a month, has been given a 30 day notice.

There was NO written agreement, about guests or anything. excavus disturbed the peace of one of the tenants in the house by having noisy, drinking guests over one night in addition to having an overnight guest on several occasions, violating perhaps the UNwritten rules of the house. The homeowner/landlord is within his rights AS the homeowner to prevent other guests from coming to the house and causing a disturbance. This is not a rule change because there ARE no written rules.

You have to understand that the homeowner is the one who can be held liable for the acts and actions of guests and tenants in his home (e.g., if minors are provided alcohol, it is the homeowner/landlord who can be held responsible) and the homeowner is also the one who must make sure the rights of his other tenants are not infringed.

TigerD

There was NO written agreement, about guests or anything. excavus disturbed the peace of one of the tenants in the house by having noisy, drinking guests over one night in addition to having an overnight guest on several occasions, violating perhaps the UNwritten rules of the house.
Unwritten rules do not mean no rules. Changing an accepted pattern of behavior by barring guests could constitute a change requiring 30 days written notice. It is a colorable argument that is most likely not relevant because neither the landlord nor the OP are going to fight it that far.

TD

quincy

There were no ground rules laid out. I was initially hesitant to bring anyone over, but he was very laissez faire about our arrangement and didn't seem bothered. I asked for permission many times and it had never been an issue to have visitors over before. I understood that I was new to the house and entering a place that others already called home.

But yes, I am in the process of finding my own place. Trust me, as a 24 year-old engineer, I'd rather be in my own house... not renting a room like I'm in college again.
I agree that unwritten rules does not mean no rules. And it appears there WAS an accepted pattern of behavior. excavus had apparently asked the landlord/homeowner many times for permission to have guests over. This indicates that the landlord/homeowner has right of approval or denial to guests in the home.

But I agree with you, TigerD, that this is not likely something that will be pursued by either excavus or the landlord. The landlord would be smart to put house rules in writing, though, so there is no misunderstanding by any roomers in the future as to what the expectations are for sharing the house.

Good luck in your next residence, excavus.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">