• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a landlord revoke "guest privileges"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

excavus

I live in Oregon and am renting a room in a friend's house. There was no lease agreement signed. I have been here for about a month now, and he has informed me that he is giving me a 30 day notice to vacate. He also is telling me that he is revoking my "guest privileges" and that I can no longer have any visitors. Is this within his power to do? It doesn't seem legal to me.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

quincy

I live in Oregon and am renting a room in a friend's house. There was no lease agreement signed. I have been here for about a month now, and he has informed me that he is giving me a 30 day notice to vacate. He also is telling me that he is revoking my "guest privileges" and that I can no longer have any visitors. Is this within his power to do? It doesn't seem legal to me.

Thanks for any insight you may have.
Yes. Without a lease, your friend can set conditions for his house that include no guests and your friend can give you a 30 day notice to vacate.

FarmerJ

Your LL cannot just pull new stuff out of thin air with out proper notices to you so your LL tells you they want you to move out OK but telling you that now you cant have visitors , tell the LL you will plan for moving, but you will still have visitors and if they dont like it they can take you to court and show the court which cloud in the sky has that rule in writing since its not in a written lease.

quincy

Your LL cannot just pull new stuff out of thin air with out proper notices to you so your LL tells you they want you to move out OK but telling you that now you cant have visitors , tell the LL you will plan for moving, but you will still have visitors and if they dont like it they can take you to court and show the court which cloud in the sky has that rule in writing since its not in a written lease.
Actually, that is incorrect, FarmerJ.

TigerD

http://oregoncat.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Landlord-Tenant-Booklet-English-1-10.pdf

Regardless of who is correct - FarmerJ or Quincy, the OP should probably read this. I tend to think that FarmerJ is more correct, but broad sweeping statements of law tend to backfire - at least for me.

I'd plan to move sooner if you can. No one wants to live in that kind of hostile environment.

TD

LdiJ

I'm curious to know what other property rights you believe are excluded from a leasehold estate.
There is no lease. Its a month to month unwritten situation. The landlord has the right to make reasonable rules. In the case where someone is renting a room in the landlord's home, a "no visitors" rule would not necessarily be unreasonable.

I suspect that the only reason why the OP has been given 30 days notice after such a short amount of time, is because the OP has abused having visitors. I suspect that its something along the lines of having a girlfriend/boyfriend spending the night on a frequent basis.

PaulMass

There is no lease. Its a month to month unwritten situation. The landlord has the right to make reasonable rules. In the case where someone is renting a room in the landlord's home, a "no visitors" rule would not necessarily be unreasonable.

I suspect that the only reason why the OP has been given 30 days notice after such a short amount of time, is because the OP has abused having visitors. I suspect that its something along the lines of having a girlfriend/boyfriend spending the night on a frequent basis.
I guess the Oregon Bar Association mist be mistaken when they write "Landlords can impose new rules or change existing rules only after giving tenants a minimum of 30 days’ written notice, or at the end of a lease term if the lease itself does not allow changes during the term"

quincy

I'm curious to know what other property rights you believe are excluded from a leasehold estate.
Please reread the wording of my first post and tell me what is incorrect about it.

As a homeowner who has rented out a room in his house without a lease, the homeowner/now landlord CAN revoke privileges that were not spelled out in a written lease. For one example, if the tenant or his guests violate a law while in the house (e.g., use drugs), the homeowner/landlord can advise his tenant that the guests are no longer allowed in his house. What the guests do can affect the homeowner, not only the tenant.

As TigerD (Yay Detroit Tigers! ;)) has said, broad definitive statements rarely have a place in law. "Can" a landlord revoke unwritten privileges? Yes. Is it legal to do so? Possibly. It depends on the facts, of which we have little.

excavus

I wouldn't say that there was any "abuse" in having visitors over, but last night I had a three friends over. We had been drinking and were a bit being noisy. The landlord wasn't home, but our other roommate was and he complained to him via text message (keep in mind this is at 1:30 am). This is the first time this had ever happened. I apologized, but was told that I was being disrespectful and asked to move out. Other than that, I have infrequently had people over, maybe my boyfriend a few nights a week... but certainly no abuse, at least not in my eyes.

I understand being angry about noise at 1:30 in the morning, but there was no civil attempt made to remedy the situation. We didn't trash the house or make a mess. Serving a 30 day notice after such a short period of tenancy for such a reason is absurd, in my opinion, but unfortunately completely within his rights. I was questioning the revocation of "guest privileges." I think it's unfair to ask me not to have anyone over because of something like this, and I think how he is reacting to the situation is rash and unreasonable.

Probably more info than necessary, but there you go :)

excavus

I guess the Oregon Bar Association mist be mistaken when they write "Landlords can impose new rules or change existing rules only after giving tenants a minimum of 30 days’ written notice, or at the end of a lease term if the lease itself does not allow changes during the term"
So, the new rules are in effect for the duration of the 30 day notice? Or does the landlord have to give notice of changes to rules at least 30 days prior to them taking effect?

BL

I wouldn't say that there was any "abuse" in having visitors over, but last night I had a three friends over. We had been drinking and were a bit being noisy. The landlord wasn't home, but our other roommate was and he complained to him via text message (keep in mind this is at 1:30 am). This is the first time this had ever happened. I apologized, but was told that I was being disrespectful and asked to move out. Other than that, I have infrequently had people over, maybe my boyfriend a few nights a week... but certainly no abuse, at least not in my eyes.

I understand being angry about noise at 1:30 in the morning, but there was no civil attempt made to remedy the situation. We didn't trash the house or make a mess. Serving a 30 day notice after such a short period of tenancy for such a reason is absurd, in my opinion, but unfortunately completely within his rights. I was questioning the revocation of "guest privileges." I think it's unfair to ask me not to have anyone over because of something like this, and I think how he is reacting to the situation is rash and unreasonable.

In your opinion..

Re-read what you posted. Sure sounds like you have abused your welcome, full of immature excuses.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I actually don't find that absurd at all. When you are renting a room in someone's home you should know that having three friends over, even if you are all completely sober, is seriously pushing the envelope. You weren't sober, you were drunk. In addition you had your boyfriend a few nights a week. I suspect your landlord was already fed up with the boyfriend a few nights a week and the three drunk friends was the last straw for him/her.

Maybe you and your boyfriend should rent an apartment together so that you can do as you like.

excavus

In your opinion..

Re-read what you posted. Sure sounds like you have abused your welcome, full of immature excuses.
Opinions aside, my question is still left unanswered. Do I have a right to have guests, or is it a privilege which may be revoked?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">