• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a landlord send an invoice for damages after returning security deposit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taitcheson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

If a land lord had not returned my deposit, nor provide an itemized list of damages for which they might be withholding the deposit as required by the Florida Statue 83.49, section 3(a)...can they still send me an invoice for replacement of carpet?

I had previously provided notice, in excess of sixty days, as to my intent to vacate the residence so as to satisfy the requirement agreed upon in my lease. This statement as provided was received by a representative from the management office and was signed by said representative. The statement as provide also would have served as record of the forwarding address to my new residence, which had been included in the document.

I had attempted to make arrangements to discuss this matter with the management earlier in the month, but was told by an attending representative within the management office that only the assistant manager would be able to discuss this matter with me.

When I did finally hear back from her, it was past 30 days. I learned that she had in fact sent a certified letter that was returned because she did not correctly spell out the address as i had provided.

She has since written to explain that her attorney advised her that she would in fact need to refund my full deposit, but ended the correspondence stating that she would also send an invoice for the replacement of the carpet which would need to be paid in 15 days.

Is this an appropriate (or lawful) action on the part of the landlord?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">