• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Lease be broken for Unsafe Environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peggy.wineinger

What is the name of your state? AZ
I just moved into an apartment in Mesa in June 2008. Yesterday I couldn't get through the gate to leave the complex because there had been a home invasion at one of the apartments, and the police and reporters were blocking the driveway. This morning I get up to find the back window of my SUV shattered by vandals. The apartment manager said it would be very costly if I decided to break my lease and move. I do not feel this is a very safe complex, and would like to move. Do I have any legal way of getting out of lease?

Who's Liable?

No, your LL is correct. You cannot legally terminate your lease for this reason. You should have done better research for your area. The police department gives out information regarding the crimes and number of crimes in your geographic area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">