• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can LL keep changing mind?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MiniFoxx

What is the name of your state?Indiana

we have a verbal agreement with our LL. Nothing has ever been put in writing and nothing has ever been actually specified. Before we met to discuss renting house the rent was $400, when we met, she said $500. We told her that would be tight and might not always be able to make it.

We have made weekly payment because that's what works for us. For the 1st two months we made very small payments because we simply didn't have the money to make full amount. LL was alright with this, as long as we paid something she was alright. We started making regular payments and then husbands company went bankrupt and he was out of work. She sent eviction notice and we worked out an arrangement. That was alright. He found new work and we started making regular payments again. Told her as soon as we could we would start catching things up. Acouple of weeks in a row, we had very small checks, we informed her and she said nothing. Then she calls and talks to me, and she is alright. Then I inform her of electrical problems. She had electrician take a look and nothing else has been done since. The breaker box is out of code, and there are bare wires, some have condensation dripping on them. All of the wiring in basement is open and needs to be in conduit. All of outlets and switches need replaced and somewhere there is wiring that is overheating because it can be smelled. Also been waiting 7 months for the roof to be fixed. Can't use most of the garage due to leaks and have lost somethings because leak keeps getting bigger. Then I informed her of the wet basement and condensation problems. Have lost things down there because of mold and mildew - things that cannot be replaced.

All of a sudden she calls out of the blue and says that things aren't working out and that we have 30 days. One day things are alright and the next she changes her mind. None of the repairs are being tended to. We have made many repairs ourselves. Since bringing these major repairs to her attention, now she wants us out. since nothing is in writing and it's all verbal, does that give her the right to change her mind on a daily basis?

We don't have the money to move and with a family of 8 it is hard to find a place that is large enough. We don't really want to move. We cannot afford to move and really like the school system here. I have homeschooled my children due to lack of adequate-satisfactory schooling.

I guess my question is can she keep changing up since we have a verbal agreement? Does she have to wait until the end of a month or can she do it anytime since we are behind in rent? We have been patient waiting for repairs, and nothing has been done. When we rented it was with the understanding that 3 people were going to be sleeping in the basement. With the humidity and condensation, we are unable to use the basement. Isn't there something about not being able to use part of a unit that the rent should be reduced or something like that?

I need all the help I can. For my family. My youngest is 11 months and my oldest is 11. What happens when our 30 days is up and we don't have anywhere to go?

Thanks
MiniFoxx

FarmerJ

since you have no written lease you are just a month to month renter and your LL is free to change any of the terms with a months proper written notice . That also includes you being able to give a months notice that you are going to vacate .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">