• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can LL's representative enter prop legally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BOLSHEF

What is the name of your state? PA

I'm a new LL (Nov 05) and have problem tenants. A while back, I wanted to inspect the furnace and spoke with the tenants about having my father over there to look at the furnace. My father lives much closer than I. The tenant was given more than 24 hours notice as these arrangements were made days in advance. They agree to be there when he showed up. When he showed up, no one was there. He misplaced the key so he didn't actually enter but later on the tenants said that he can not legally enter the house.

Would it be illegal for him to enter if the tenant was not there, even if notice was given?
They were given more than 24 hrs notice.
Can LL or their representative legally enter the premises so long as 24 hours notice was given, regardless of whether the tenant was there.

Does it have to be in writing or is voice mail good enough?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alaska landlord

If your tenant declines to let him in, then he cannot enter. You in turn can force the issue by informing your tenant that he is in breach of this lease or rental agreement and take what ever legal remedy you see fit. If your lease contains a right of entry provision you may for example give him a notice to quit and proceed with eviction if he continues to deny entry. If he is a month to month tenant just give him his 15 or 30 days and get rid of your headache permanently. If hope you didn't lock yourself into a 24 hr notice in your lease. PA does not have a 24 hr notice requirement.

BOLSHEF

If your tenant declines to let him in, then he cannot enter. You in turn can force the issue by informing your tenant that he is in breach of this lease or rental agreement and take what ever legal remedy you see fit. If your lease contains a right of entry provision you may for example give him a notice to quit and proceed with eviction if he continues to deny entry. If he is a month to month tenant just give him his 15 or 30 days and get rid of your headache permanently. If hope you didn't lock yourself into a 24 hr notice in your lease. PA does not have a 24 hr notice requirement.
OK, so its only illegal to enter if the tenant is there and refuses to let him in...

What happens if the tenant calls me or informs me that I can't come in unless they are there? Do I take legal action and evict them based on that action?

Cvillecpm

Bol - post your question on the MrLandlord website and be prepared for the landlords there to answer and advise you to sell your rentals if you are not going to get educated as a landlord. You live too far away from your rental property to effectively self-manage.

Rather than have your "dad" do inspection, have a HVAC service company do spring and fall servicing with filter changes. Give them a key and let them make arrangements with tenants. Mine cost less than $150 per year and I know that a pro has looked at the unit.

Put wording in your lease to the effect that tenants will cooperate with these entries. Otherwise, let them wait 3 days for AC repair in 80degree July weather....HeHeHe

Alaska landlord

OK, so its only illegal to enter if the tenant is there and refuses to let him in...

What happens if the tenant calls me or informs me that I can't come in unless they are there? Do I take legal action and evict them based on that action?
Your tenant is testing you and right now has the upper hand. Get someone qualified to manage the property for you. You might consider joining a landlord association. They can guide you with property managers and attorneys in your area.

Gadfly

Much of this discussion is assuming you have a lease. You do have a lease correct?

If you wish to get in the LL business, go to your state's web site and research the LL laws. You will need to know them and any changes that are made. Take courses, read books.

BOLSHEF

Much of this discussion is assuming you have a lease. You do have a lease correct?

If you wish to get in the LL business, go to your state's web site and research the LL laws. You will need to know them and any changes that are made. Take courses, read books.
Yes, we have a lease. Obviously, I have some learning to do.

My next issue is, I think they may be out of oil and it suppose to get cold over the next few days. When I call to inquire about it, I just get voice mail and no return call at this point.
I'm assuming that I can just show up there to confirm.
If that is the case, and there is no oil, would anyone advising calling Child Youth Services since they have two children living there.
Is continuing to not buy oil and breach of lease or does that depend on the agreement wording?

Cvillecpm

If they are out of oil - that is their problem.....you are micro-managing your tenants' lives which is what will get you into trouble.

If they have electricity, they could have space heaters....leave it alone.

You need to mandate, in your lease, the fuel oil provider AND that your tenants place their service on automatic fill. If you have screened your tenants properly, this should not be a problem. If you did not run a credit check or they have poor credit, they won't be able to get service from most fuel oil providers....I think your problems started with your poor screening of the current residents.

Again, you should be posting to the Q&A section of Mrlandlord so that other PA LLs can assist you with specifics of PA L-T laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">