• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my apartment complex do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Marc1

What is the name of your state? TX

My apartment said they are going to start charging for water come January. When I signed my least last summer it was in the lease that all utilities will be paid. So shouldn't this mean that they should pay my water bill until my lease runs out in June?

HomeGuru

Marc1 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

My apartment said they are going to start charging for water come January. When I signed my least last summer it was in the lease that all utilities will be paid. So shouldn't this mean that they should pay my water bill until my lease runs out in June?

**A: you are correct. And when your lease runs out in June they may not want you as a tenant. They wiil have a memory like an elephant. They won't tell you that's water under the bridge.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Marc dont be surprised if you find more and more rentals where the tenants must pay water and sewer charges the Installation of submetering devices is becoming more and more common and in many states sub meters are legal. If you dont see it as a problem just remind them you will be happy to do so after current lease has expired . Of ccourse HG is correct they might not offer a new lease but then again too maybe you might be wanting to live elsewhere next summer .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">