• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my apartment manager place notices in my mailbox?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noho

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

In California, can apartment managers use locked mailboxs to distribute notices to tennants? I have been getting letters from the management placed into my locked mailbox that used to get mailed to me. They are obviously trying to save a few pennies. None of these recent letters have stamps attached and some have just been flyers alone. The management owns the locked mailboxes. I don't know if they are opening them to put letters in or having the mailman do it. I understand that it is a federal offense for them to open my locked mailbox even if it is from behind to access all of the boxes at once. I would assume that if the mailman is doing it as a favor then he is engaging in unethical work practices by shorting revenue to the government. What happened to invasion of privacy?:confused:

ecmst12

It is not illegal for them to open your mailbox, locked or unlocked, to place things inside. It would be illegal for them to take things OUT or tamper with your other mail.

Cvillecpm

Obviouly you do not like the notices.....however you get them, clear up the situation where mgmt is having to send you notices!!!

Mass_Shyster

No, they cannot place notices not bearing postage in your mail receptacle

DMM 508 Recipient Services

Customer Mail Receptacles
3.1 Basic Information for Customer Mail Receptacles

3.1.1 Authorized Depository

Except as excluded by 3.1.2, every letterbox or other receptacle intended or used for the receipt or delivery of mail on any city delivery route, rural delivery route, highway contract route, or other mail route is designated an authorized depository for mail within the meaning of 18 USC 1702, 1705, 1708, and 1725.

3.1.2 Exclusions

Door slots and nonlockable bins or troughs used with apartment house mailboxes are not letterboxes within the meaning of 18 USC 1725 and are not private mail receptacles for the standards for mailable matter not bearing postage found in or on private mail receptacles. The post or other support is not part of the receptacle.

3.1.3 Use for Mail

Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

noho

Obviouly you do not like the notices.....however you get them, clear up the situation where mgmt is having to send you notices!!!
Here we go again, another ignorant assumption by the landlord attack dogs! :mad: They call you a senior member. I guess they give that award to anybody. I am getting rent increase notices, utility bills and requests for information. There are no tennant violations! My issue is that I am sick of all of the rules literature being shoved in my face every five minutes due to some rogue incident or whatever in the other building while I have been a perfect tennant for five years and they fail to fix the extremely small quantity of things that I ask. Examples: Five years ago, I asked them to fix the weight pulldown cable because the handle is too heavy and when you remove the pin, it falls on your head and is very dangerous unless you know better to move out of the way. I asked them to fix the side security door of the community building that houses my apartment nearly a year ago because it doesn't latch when it is let go and it swings shut. So, to sum it up, If they are going to force their pushy notes on tennants,

then they need to pay the piper!:mad:

I am getting sick of the "just shut up and deal with it" posts from landlords here that think every tennant problem is just a bunch of whining! I support landlords on a lot of things that they get screwed on like eviction and such, but they really need to be more curtious with their tennant in general.

It is not illegal for them to open your mailbox, locked or unlocked, to place things inside. It would be illegal for them to take things OUT or tamper with your other mail.
Then why can't the ups guy put packages in a mailbox? After looking a little further, I think you are wrong. The mail process must go through usps or we will get every window flyer placed in there as well. My mailbox whether owned by the landlord or not is not a convenient free communication system for them.

3.1.3 Use for Mail

Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.
thanks Steve, I will check the website for more. Another idea past through my mind. If they place unstamped rent increase letters or miscellaneous charges in the mail without postage, then the letter was never officially be served.:cool:

However the wronged party is the US government, not the person who receives mail in the mailbox.
Ever heard of mail privacy? Anyway, I'm not looking to sue, just make them follow the rules as they do their tennants.

ecmst12

They can also slide the notices under your door or tack them to the outside of your door. That would be completely legal as well. Your landlord has the right to communicate with you. Your other issues are completely separate.

justalayman

if you have a problem with them placing things in your mailbox, call the postmaster at your specific mail office. They don't like mail in the box without postage on it either.

Then, forget about it because it changes nothing as far as you are concerned. IF the USPS does something about it, that is between them and the person stuffing your box. If they don't, there are no actions available to you to change things.

get on with life.

FarmerJ

You wrote about complaints you have made, Have you contacted your city/county building inspections desk to learn if any of the items you complained about are code violations ? IF not then do it! and from now on if you have any complaints related to repairs send them via certified mail , if you tell them on the phone or face to face those kind of communications are too easily forgotten!

Cvillecpm

Either the manager is standing beside the postperson when the "gang" mailbox is loaded with daily mail OR the building is old enough so that the boxes actually BELONG to mgmt (they installed originally) and mgmt has a key....either way, USPS will tell mgmt you complained if you go that route.

SOLVE THE PROBLEM THAT IS CAUSING THE NOTICES!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">