• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my boyfriend kick me out on a whim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikki_ronnie

My boyfriend asked me to move in with him 2 years ago. We live in Mississippi, in a house we rent from his aunt, so there is no contract or rental agreement. Everytime we get in a fight he starts telling me he's going to kick me out and throw my stuff in the street. Last night he went psycho and I'm afraid he's going to come home and try to kick me out today. Isn't he required to give me some kind of notice?
There is virtually no housing in Biloxi since Katrina and I'll probably need to leave the state.
Please help!

HuAi

Since he is not the owner of the house HE cannot do anything. His aunt is your landlord and she would have to be the one to kick you out. She could do so by issuing you a 30 days written notice prior to the first of the moth. If she gives it to you a notice any time between now and July 31 for example, it would not take effect until the 1st of September. If he starts throwing your stuff out or locks you out, call the police and they will force him to let you in.

nikki_ronnie

Gail,

Gail,

You are perfectly right, but although I would not want to live here and be harassed for very long, I am not at this point in time financially able to move out. Obviously any sane person would remove themselves from the situation, but it takes time and money to find another place to live.
I hope this isn't too difficult for you to understand you snotty little snip.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since he is not the owner of the house HE cannot do anything. His aunt is your landlord and she would have to be the one to kick you out.
I disagree based on the premise that the OP is a sub-lessee.

If you're a tenant, then you cannot be kicked out without notice. However, if you're a licensee, then you can be kicked out on a whim.

You say that you rent from your bf's aunt, but that there is no rental agreement. That is not entirely true. There is a rental agreement in that you two pay rent, and the aunt provides the house. The question is whether you're a party to the agreement (or to another agreement). Do you actually pay for part of the rent? Was your bf living there before you moved in?

nusias9

Good grief!!!! That's so Mississippi!!!

I graduated from USM Longbeach.. Are you on the coast?

Mississippi recognizes a person as a legal tenant after 30days on the property, even if that person is not named on the lease. (unless the law changed recently, haven't lived in Biloxi for almost 10yrs)

Its also a recorded law that it is illegal to live together if you are not married.

I can tell you a couple laws on the books that make it illegal to do particular sexual acts in MS.
Now that backwards!!!

Good luck ... call the local PD office they will actually answer that question for you.

Gail in Georgia

Franky, nikki-ronnie it IS difficult for me to understand.

Perhaps you deserve the Psycho boyfriend. Hopefully he won't become the Psycho murder suspect.

Find another place to live, even if he doesn't have the right to kick you out.

Gail (perhaps snotty and snippy but loaded with common sense)

Silverplum

Gail,

You are perfectly right, but although I would not want to live here and be harassed for very long, I am not at this point in time financially able to move out. Obviously any sane person would remove themselves from the situation, but it takes time and money to find another place to live.
I hope this isn't too difficult for you to understand you snotty little snip.
Why the 'tude??

Remarks like that will get you nowhere here. :(

Silverplum

Franky, nikki-ronnie it IS difficult for me to understand.

Perhaps you deserve the Psycho boyfriend. Hopefully he won't become the Psycho murder suspect.

Find another place to live, even if he doesn't have the right to kick you out.

Gail (perhaps snotty and snippy but loaded with common sense)
So much for trying to help, eh? :rolleyes: Ingrates abound.

nusias9

Hey I just noticed you said you were from Biloxi...

Now I'm wondering if I know you...?

I worked for years at the Grand.
I opened the Beau.

If you leave this guy... Over in D'Iberville by my mother they just finished a giant apartment complex by the Walmart.. But not sure about the rent ... I know it tripled after Katrina!

Alaska landlord

I can see why BF wants her out. No need to flame Gail because she points out the obvious. A little self respect and pride is due here. If BF wants you out, you pack your bags and flip him off. No need to hang around with BF that treats you badly, though I do suspect it's the other way around.

applecruncher

Gail, you should sue "nikki_ronnie" for plagiarism. She copied the 'snotty little snip' remark from one of your posts in another thread, and if you've copyrighted it, she is in big trouble. ;)

Nikki, the sensible thing to do whould be to arrange to stay with someone else, pack, get the heck outta that house, and eventually get a new boyfriend. Of couse, you're probably waiting for him to tell you he loves you, so you two can live happily after, eh? aaawwwww :p Ain't love grand?

*sigh*

Mississippi recognizes a person as a legal tenant after 30days on the property, even if that person is not named on the lease. (unless the law changed recently, haven't lived in Biloxi for almost 10yrs)
That's not correct.

A tenancy is not created by a specific length of time. It is based on the intentions of the parties. She could have lived in the house for 50 years, but if the elements of a tenancy are not present, then she is just a social guest who can be kicked out with no notice.

nusias9

Cameron... I take it you lived in Biloxi and completely understand how it works there!

Elements of tenancy... she lived in the home for two years!!! I think that surpass being a social guest!!! I bet she might even have a few check where she paid bills...

I've went to college there on the coast and I could not kick out my roommate whom was not on the lease. At that time residency was established after 30days..

Nikki... call the police on Howard Ave. They will tell you that this a fact, unless there is domestic violence. Then they will have the person creating the violence leave the property if not taken to jail.

I also stated that I have not lived there for 10yrs and the law may have changed!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">