• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my boyfriend legally throw me out of apartment and take my keys without notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

principessa27

Every time my boyfriend gets annoyed or angry with me, he kicks me out of “his” apartment and takes away my set of keys.

We live in Ohio. His name WAS the only name on the lease agreement, though it expired a year ago. We haven’t signed any legal agreements with the landlord since then and have been paying rent on a monthly basis. I pay all our utilities and rent (and have documentation to prove it). I’ve lived there about two years and for the past year have had all my mail received at this address. Not sure if this is relevant or helps establish some sort of residency.

Can he legally kick me out and take my set of keys away? His logic is that if I don’t have keys then that means that I don’t live there. Not sure if it is that simple or if he is breaking any laws by not allowing me to enter the place where I currently live.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Every time my boyfriend gets annoyed or angry with me, he kicks me out of “his” apartment and takes away my set of keys.

We live in Ohio. His name WAS the only name on the lease agreement, though it expired a year ago. We haven’t signed any legal agreements with the landlord since then and have been paying rent on a monthly basis. I pay all our utilities and rent (and have documentation to prove it). I’ve lived there about two years and for the past year have had all my mail received at this address. Not sure if this is relevant or helps establish some sort of residency.

Can he legally kick me out and take my set of keys away? His logic is that if I don’t have keys then that means that I don’t live there. Not sure if it is that simple or if he is breaking any laws by not allowing me to enter the place where I currently live.
No, he's not legally allowed to do that.

With that said - I would recommend that you dump this guy and move on. This type of manipulation is NOT healthy, nor is it normal behavior from a loving person.

xylene

Get a copy of the key made and hide it with a friend or at work in case he pulls this garbage and leaves you without a place to stay and your things held hostage.

principessa27

Thank you for your replies.
Unfortunatly, he has my keys at the moment so I am locked out.
I thought that denying me access to where I live was illegal, even though I'm not documented on any legal agreement.
I didn't want to get the police involved as I fear that it would anger my boyfriend and make the situation worse. But if he cannot legally throw me out without notice, sounds like I may need to inform the police.

FarmerJ

Next time you get keys back plan on bringing enough help over to get your personal property OUT of there and be done with him and if you have to call the police if he threatens you or actually hits you DO IT.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">