+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    aqualily6 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1

    Can my boyfriend, the owner of the house, kick me out without an eviction notice?

    I live on the Florida panhandle and I moved from Michigan to move in with my long time boyfriend. I've been here a little over two years. When I moved here he said that all I had to do was be a homemaker and take care of the house. But in the past when we've struggled with bills I've sold some collectibles of mine to help our situation. For the most part however I've cooked, cleaned, helped manage bills, found roommates on craigslist to bring in more money, kept track of our roommate's rents, dealt with the mortgage company, etc.

    Recently we've been getting into arguments and he says things he doesn't mean. (He told me not to clean anymore and so our other roommate does it now to get free cigarettes from my bf.) My bf has schizophrenia and has mood swings but so far we've always gotten through it. Currently we have 3 male roommates (in a 4 room, 1 1/2 bath. house) and he has become best friends with them because they are all gamers. 2 of the 3 roommates hate me. They hear an argument, my boyfriend tells them it's all my fault, and they only listen to his side. He drags them into our business and takes away all privacy because he doesn't trust his own decision making process, so he says.

    2 weeks ago my boyfriend got mad at me and told all of the roommates to decide whether or not I should live here or not or just go back to Michigan for a while. He said it was up to them when he was angry. 2 of 3 roomies said they want me gone. (BTW- together these 2 guys owe $3000 because they are several months behind on their rents.) The day after he regretted that because he told me "I still want you here, but it's too late. I don't want to undermine my friendship with our roommates." So, we've worked on being as generous as we could for the last two weeks getting them all presents for Christmas and sharing our new things with them. We all played rockband together. But then as luck has it they all said I still have to leave as planned by them 2 weeks ago.

    My problem is that all my stuff is here. He's only going to pay for a bus ticket. My bf and I have a dog that we adopted together which I guess he will keep, but my parents also let me have their dog. How am I supposed to get my dog back to Michigan on a bus? My parents will be furious if I lose our family dog to these awful roommates. From what I've been told they can't kick me out unless they get an official written eviction notice that they have to pay for at the courthouse. But the roommates keep telling me that if I don't pay rent they don't need an eviction notice and they'll just have a cop come take me away if I refuse to leave.

    Is that true? Can anyone give me advice on my 2 roommates that don't pay rent either, but yet they act like they own the place? I was here first and I still plan to have and raise children in this home. My boyfriend is being a jerk right now (and doesn't know when his so called friends are using him) but we've known eachother almost 6 years and had planned to get married before the roommates told him not to. He was also planning on putting my name on the house so that I'd always have support if anything happened to him, but the roommates told him not to do that either. (I don't want to be a gold digger so I told him that putting my name on the house was up to him.)

    They said that because they know that if I had any ownership I would make them pay rent. Though I've helped keep this house afloat and stuck by my boyfriend through his illness because I truly love him it doesn't matter now because I'm getting ganged up on. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone because there are so many mean people here. Unless his brain chemicals level out before his social security payment comes I might be on a bus back to Michigan. Or if someone can let me know whether or not kicking me out without the eviction notice is legal or not?

    (P.S. Today I offered the Christmas money my parents sent me to pay rent for my stay here next month if only he'd change his mind about me staying here. My one roommate who was standing there said, "Refuse the money. Don't take it," to my bf. Wow. I am completely stumped on this one. I wanted to pay, but I have to move out. They don't pay, and they get to stay here.)
  2. #2
    sandyclaus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ho Ho Ho, Wouldn't YOU like to know ;)?
    Posts
    7,817
    Quote Originally Posted by aqualily6 View Post
    I live on the Florida panhandle and I moved from Michigan to move in with my long time boyfriend. I've been here a little over two years. When I moved here he said that all I had to do was be a homemaker and take care of the house. But in the past when we've struggled with bills I've sold some collectibles of mine to help our situation. For the most part however I've cooked, cleaned, helped manage bills, found roommates on craigslist to bring in more money, kept track of our roommate's rents, dealt with the mortgage company, etc.

    Recently we've been getting into arguments and he says things he doesn't mean. (He told me not to clean anymore and so our other roommate does it now to get free cigarettes from my bf.) My bf has schizophrenia and has mood swings but so far we've always gotten through it. Currently we have 3 male roommates (in a 4 room, 1 1/2 bath. house) and he has become best friends with them because they are all gamers. 2 of the 3 roommates hate me. They hear an argument, my boyfriend tells them it's all my fault, and they only listen to his side. He drags them into our business and takes away all privacy because he doesn't trust his own decision making process, so he says.

    2 weeks ago my boyfriend got mad at me and told all of the roommates to decide whether or not I should live here or not or just go back to Michigan for a while. He said it was up to them when he was angry. 2 of 3 roomies said they want me gone. (BTW- together these 2 guys owe $3000 because they are several months behind on their rents.) The day after he regretted that because he told me "I still want you here, but it's too late. I don't want to undermine my friendship with our roommates." So, we've worked on being as generous as we could for the last two weeks getting them all presents for Christmas and sharing our new things with them. We all played rockband together. But then as luck has it they all said I still have to leave as planned by them 2 weeks ago.

    My problem is that all my stuff is here. He's only going to pay for a bus ticket. My bf and I have a dog that we adopted together which I guess he will keep, but my parents also let me have their dog. How am I supposed to get my dog back to Michigan on a bus? My parents will be furious if I lose our family dog to these awful roommates. From what I've been told they can't kick me out unless they get an official written eviction notice that they have to pay for at the courthouse. But the roommates keep telling me that if I don't pay rent they don't need an eviction notice and they'll just have a cop come take me away if I refuse to leave.

    Is that true? Can anyone give me advice on my 2 roommates that don't pay rent either, but yet they act like they own the place? I was here first and I still plan to have and raise children in this home. My boyfriend is being a jerk right now (and doesn't know when his so called friends are using him) but we've known eachother almost 6 years and had planned to get married before the roommates told him not to. He was also planning on putting my name on the house so that I'd always have support if anything happened to him, but the roommates told him not to do that either. (I don't want to be a gold digger so I told him that putting my name on the house was up to him.)

    They said that because they know that if I had any ownership I would make them pay rent. Though I've helped keep this house afloat and stuck by my boyfriend through his illness because I truly love him it doesn't matter now because I'm getting ganged up on. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone because there are so many mean people here. Unless his brain chemicals level out before his social security payment comes I might be on a bus back to Michigan. Or if someone can let me know whether or not kicking me out without the eviction notice is legal or not?

    (P.S. Today I offered the Christmas money my parents sent me to pay rent for my stay here next month if only he'd change his mind about me staying here. My one roommate who was standing there said, "Refuse the money. Don't take it," to my bf. Wow. I am completely stumped on this one. I wanted to pay, but I have to move out. They don't pay, and they get to stay here.)
    If you are not on any lease, and are not the owner of the property, then the only person who has authority to tell you to leave would be the owner or leaseholder who asked you to move in.

    The good news is that since you have established residency, you cannot be forced to leave just by them saying it. You must be given WRITTEN notice to end your tenancy. If you have no specific term, then you can be given as little as 15 days written notice in to terminate your tenancy. You cannot be forced to leave without a court order. Florida Law does not allow a landlord to force a tenant out by:

    [LIST][*]Shutting off the utilities or interrupting service, even if that service is under the control of or the landlord makes payment;[*]Changing the locks or using a device that denies the tenant access;[*]Removing the outside doors, locks, roof, walls or windows (except for purposes of maintenance, repair or replacement); and/or[*]Removing the tenant's personal property from the dwelling unless action is taken after surrender, abandonment, recovery of possession of the dwelling unit due to the death of the last remaining tenant in accordance with section 83.59(3)(d), or lawful eviction.[/LIST]

    You have the legal right to stand your ground until they provide the required notice. They CANNOT force you to leave without using the proper legal procedures.
  3. #3
    applecruncher is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,360
    Your story is way too long – lots of unnecessary information, but I guess you needed to get some things out of your system.“Boyfriend”? Really? Regardless of whatever the relationship was that you think you had, it’s over. I have no idea why you would want to stay there – maybe some romanticized fantasy or whatever.

    That aside, the other people living there/roommates have no authority so you need to stop listening to them. Tell them to butt out and stop interacting with them. If your “boyfriend” - the owner of the house - wants you out he will have to follow eviction procedures through the court. He doesn’t have to get you a bus ticket. How you get your dog and your possessions back to wherever you need to go is your problem. After the eviction process you will be given a date that you have to move by. If you still aren’t gone, the deputies will come and remove you, your stuff, and your dog.

    Whether or not the other tenants are behind in their rent is irrelevant. The owner doesn't have to evict them - he can let them live there free, if he wants. That's not your business. Clearly his relationship with the other roommates is more important to him than you are. It . . .is. . . .over. He wants YOU to get out.

    You say the atmosphere is tense and you’re being ganged up on – yet you’re hoping your “boyfriend” will change his mind and let you stay. You really need to get your act together. Start making arrangements to move. Maybe use that Christmas money to have your possessions and your dog shipped back to wherever it is you intend to move.
    Last edited by applecruncher; 12-29-2010 at 11:23 AM.
  4. #4
    Who's Liable? is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ.
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by aqualily6 View Post

    2 weeks ago my boyfriend got mad at me and told all of the roommates to decide whether or not I should live here or not or just go back to Michigan for a while. He said it was up to them when he was angry. 2 of 3 roomies said they want me gone. (BTW- together these 2 guys owe $3000 because they are several months behind on their rents.) The day after he regretted that because he told me "I still want you here, but it's too late. I don't want to undermine my friendship with our roommates." So, we've worked on being as generous as we could for the last two weeks getting them all presents for Christmas and sharing our new things with them. We all played rockband together. But then as luck has it they all said I still have to leave as planned by them 2 weeks ago.
    You are an idiot. You need to leave, don't prolong this.

    Quote Originally Posted by aqualily6 View Post
    My problem is that all my stuff is here. He's only going to pay for a bus ticket. My bf and I have a dog that we adopted together which I guess he will keep, but my parents also let me have their dog. How am I supposed to get my dog back to Michigan on a bus? My parents will be furious if I lose our family dog to these awful roommates.
    That is your problem to figure out.

    Quote Originally Posted by aqualily6 View Post
    From what I've been told they can't kick me out unless they get an official written eviction notice that they have to pay for at the courthouse. But the roommates keep telling me that if I don't pay rent they don't need an eviction notice and they'll just have a cop come take me away if I refuse to leave.
    They are idiots who need to stick to gaming and get a day job. ONLY a court can evict you, and ONLY after PROPER notification per your states LL/T laws are required.

    Quote Originally Posted by aqualily6 View Post
    Is that true? Can anyone give me advice on my 2 roommates that don't pay rent either, but yet they act like they own the place? I was here first and I still plan to have and raise children in this home. My boyfriend is being a jerk right now (and doesn't know when his so called friends are using him) but we've known eachother almost 6 years and had planned to get married before the roommates told him not to. He was also planning on putting my name on the house so that I'd always have support if anything happened to him, but the roommates told him not to do that either. (I don't want to be a gold digger so I told him that putting my name on the house was up to him.)
    All irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by aqualily6 View Post
    They said that because they know that if I had any ownership I would make them pay rent. Though I've helped keep this house afloat and stuck by my boyfriend through his illness because I truly love him it doesn't matter now because I'm getting ganged up on. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone because there are so many mean people here. Unless his brain chemicals level out before his social security payment comes I might be on a bus back to Michigan. Or if someone can let me know whether or not kicking me out without the eviction notice is legal or not?
    See above.

    Quote Originally Posted by aqualily6 View Post
    (P.S. Today I offered the Christmas money my parents sent me to pay rent for my stay here next month if only he'd change his mind about me staying here. My one roommate who was standing there said, "Refuse the money. Don't take it," to my bf. Wow. I am completely stumped on this one. I wanted to pay, but I have to move out. They don't pay, and they get to stay here.)
    He doesn't have to accept it, however I would write him a check and give it to him. If he refuses it, send it via CRR stating it is for rent. Make sure to NOT spend the money in case he cashes it. If he refuses to give you a receipt, the certified letter will be your proof of your attempt to pay rent. He does not have to cash the check immediately, however you better make sure the funds are there when he does. He might refuse the money, than turn around and try to evict you for non-payment of rent.

    Cash your chips and leave. This guy is obviously a tool, and tools can be used by anyone.
  5. #5
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    8,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Who's Liable? View Post
    He doesn't have to accept it, however I would write him a check and give it to him. If he refuses it, send it via CRR stating it is for rent. Make sure to NOT spend the money in case he cashes it. If he refuses to give you a receipt, the certified letter will be your proof of your attempt to pay rent. He does not have to cash the check immediately, however you better make sure the funds are there when he does. He might refuse the money, than turn around and try to evict you for non-payment of rent.
    All your advice is sound, but I don't understand why you are advising someone to pay rent after rent has been refused and landlord notice to terminate tenancy given (legally insufficient notice, but that isn't the poster's problem...)

    The poster would be a fool to pay rent if they are going to leave. And they should leave this dangerous and deteriorating environment asap while she has the most resources to do so.
  6. #6
    Bosco645 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9
    WOW, if I were you, I can guarantee my "boyfriend" would not have to ask me to leave...I would have just left on my own.
  7. #7
    applecruncher is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by xylene View Post
    All your advice is sound, but I don't understand why you are advising someone to pay rent after rent has been refused and landlord notice to terminate tenancy given (legally insufficient notice, but that isn't the poster's problem...)

    The poster would be a fool to pay rent if they are going to leave. And they should leave this dangerous and deteriorating environment asap while she has the most resources to do so.
    ITA, xylene.

    WL - excellent response . . . except I don't understand why OP should pay rent at this late date.

    OP and bf/owner had no rental agreement except that she would take care of household
    Paying rent would prolong the inevitable
    The money could be better utilized for moving and relocation expenses

    However, I love the way you cut thru the other nonsense.
  8. #8
    Who's Liable? is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ.
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by xylene View Post
    All your advice is sound, but I don't understand why you are advising someone to pay rent after rent has been refused and landlord notice to terminate tenancy given (legally insufficient notice, but that isn't the poster's problem...)

    The poster would be a fool to pay rent if they are going to leave. And they should leave this dangerous and deteriorating environment asap while she has the most resources to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by applecruncher View Post
    ITA, xylene.

    WL - excellent response . . . except I don't understand why OP should pay rent at this late date.

    OP and bf/owner had no rental agreement except that she would take care of household
    Paying rent would prolong the inevitable
    The money could be better utilized for moving and relocation expenses

    However, I love the way you cut thru the other nonsense.
    At this point it might be moot, but it would give the OP evidence of their attempt to pay rent.

    I can see the bf trying to evict the OP for failure to pay rent, even though the bf did not give proper notice.
  9. #9
    applecruncher is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Who's Liable? View Post
    At this point it might be moot, but it would give the OP evidence of their attempt to pay rent.

    I can see the bf trying to evict the OP for failure to pay rent, even though the bf did not give proper notice.
    Perhaps.
    I guess I'm also looking at it from the standpoint that OP will use acceptance of rent as encouagement to try to hang on to this pitiful relationship. However, I must remind myself that this is not drphil.com
  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by aqualily6 View Post
    I was here first and I still plan to have and raise children in this home. My boyfriend is being a jerk right now (and doesn't know when his so called friends are using him) but we've known eachother almost 6 years and had planned to get married before the roommates told him not to.
    Honey, listen, this isn't going to happen. Your "boyfriend" has actually broken up with you. He's told you to leave, hasn't told you you can stay. He's even refused to allow you to pay rent. His friends are more important to him than you are. You really shouldn't even hope to have children with someone who puts his buddies ahead of you and any potential-children. I can tell you're in denial about this. You think there's still a relationship, but there's not. He's even willing to pay a bus ticket to send you over a thousand miles away. The relationship is over. I'm really sorry. I know it's not what you want to hear, but telling you that there's a relationship worth salvaging would be to tell you a lie. I know you love him, and that this whole ordeal is hurting you, but he just doesn't feel the same way. All the details you've given us prove this.

    (To the rest of you, have a little sympathy here. We've got a girl very much in love, probably a young one, and she's going to have to accept the inevitable, but you don't need to be mean. She's not one of the many people trying to find ways out of their responsibilities. Be mean to those who didn't read their leases and now don't want to abide by it because they were too stupid to read what they signed before signing it.)

    Now you have established residency. In a nutshell, your ex, the homeowner who has given you free rent, must give you notice in writing. The other roommates aren't your landlord. Your ex is, unless he gives the permission to act on his behalf, making them his agents, and would testify to this in court.

    So you are entitled to proper notice IN WRITING. If you don't vacate, your ex must go through the eviction process in court to force you to leave. He doesn't even have to buy your bus ticket. Your possessions aren't his responsibility.

    I suggest you sell everything you can ASAP and look into renting a car to get you from Florida to Michigan with the family dog, or see if you can find anyone on the Rideshare section of Craigslist heading up to Michigan. Last thing you should be doing is trying to find a way to stay where you're not wanted.
  11. #11
    atomizer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,626
    I suggest you see about having your bf go to the doctor for a change in medication. Sometimes it makes a big difference in mood changes. Second, I would not move in with "who's liable" he would probably do the same to you.
  12. #12
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    35,403
    Get a job, get your own place, get a car, drive your own stuff and dog whereever you want to take them. Also, get some therapy and some self respect (one leads to the other).

Similar Threads

  1. mom and boyfriend broke up, can he make her leave without an eviction notice?
    By greengoddess in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 06:42 AM
  2. Notice Letter to kick tenant out / Eviction Notice
    By mwijaya in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
  3. mobile home owner eviction notice for weekend guests
    By ryanpsu77 in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 12:01 PM
  4. Can my boyfriend kick me out of our house?
    By akas in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 05:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.