• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer make me move in one week?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnivey

I live in Tennessee and my employer provides my wife and I a place to live. Our lease states we have seven days to move out if we cease employment for any reason. We have heard that you have 30 days by state law. Is that correct. Is there a charge for the additional 21 days(3 weeks)?

please reply

[email protected]

H

happy&lucky

A contract is a contract.....

You only get 30 days when you PAY RENT......

so dont lose your job, and have money saved up just in case.

J

justathought

Not a lawyer...Not familiar with Tenn., but here's my $.02

What does your lease say? Then that is what you are bound to because that is what you contracted for. You signed it, you should have read carefully.

I'll guess the thirty days is for eviction proceedings or lease breaking and things like that. But if you agreed by signing the lease that you would be employed or out in seven days, then you should be employed or out in seven days. You'd probably get the thirty days if you stayed after the seven and your employer had to begin eviction proceedings. That's not pretty.

The lease would also be able to answer your question about the partial rent responsibility. In my state, if someone will be moving in right away, it's illegal for the landlord to collect double rent, removing party A from rent responsibility as B is actually living there. Check with your state.

Bottom line: you need to check in your state. Try the state bar association or local landlord/tenant organization. The associations can usually answer most questions for free.

Best of luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">