• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my former landlord give out contact information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shillelagh7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I moved at the end of February from a rental after 2 1/2 years. Prior to moving in the landlord, as part of te rental agreement, got contact informationr for a person to contact in case of an emergency.

I did not leave a forwarding address with her, becaue the other party in a former relationship enjoys harrassing me whenever he gets bored and I'd rather he didn't know where I am.

Imagine my surprise when my person to contact in case of an emergency informed me my former "friend" was calling him demanding to know where I am. He went to my former residence and she supplied him with my emergency contact information and suggested he use it to get ahold of me. Is this legal? Are there any steps I can take to keep her from giving it out to anyone else?

Banned_Princess

Well you can apologize to your emergency contact. I hope that was someone you could trust not to give up your whereabouts.

Otherthen that. what are you wanting to do, sue the LL for giving information to someone? information that wasn't completely private anyway?

shillelagh7

If you look at my original posting, you'll notice I said nothing about sueing. If you read the entire post I'm asking if there's a way of stopping her from giving out contact information. I have no idea why you would automatically assume this means sue.

I guess since the information is free you get what you pay for. I'll be using a responsible site from now on. I get answers to questions I actually asked without the crappy attitude and the assumption I want to sue.

Banned_Princess

If you look at my original posting, you'll notice I said nothing about sueing. If you read the entire post I'm asking if there's a way of stopping her from giving out contact information. I have no idea why you would automatically assume this means sue.

I guess since the information is free you get what you pay for. I'll be using a responsible site from now on. I get answers to questions I actually asked without the crappy attitude and the assumption I want to sue.
ok fine. NO theres nothing at all you can do to stop someone from doing something thats not criminal. or a civil violation.

applecruncher

Another poster getting in a huff because members didn't tell them what they want to hear.

I'll be using a responsible site from now on.
You know of a responsible site on the internet? Wow. Please share. And exactly what is that site responsible for? :D You could also consult with an attorney in person, but they usually charge money.

Seriously, though, let it be a lesson: I know of someone who - when asked for emergency contact numbers - had a note attached for thefile "confidential, please do not give this information to others". A reasonable, responsible landlord will respect those wishes, particularly if there is a good LL/Tenant relationship. But it's not mandatory.

sandyclaus

Funny, then, why OP would come to a LEGAL advice board, asking if what the LL was doing was LEGAL, then claiming he doesn't intend to sue.

Simple answer - if you want her to stop giving out your personal information, then make a written request. Keep in mind, however, that it will only be a REQUEST. She is under no legal obligation to keep the information confidential if it was not promised (IN WRITING) when you gave it to her.

Perhaps she decided it was less trouble to give out YOUR information so that this person stopped bothering HER about how to get in touch with you. Since you don't plan to sue her, then what does she have to lose, except that annoying person?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">