• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my landlord evict??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trlenker

I live in the state of Pennsylvania and my boyfriend and I have been renting an apartment since Feburary 21, 2005. The lease is for one year. On Wednesday, July 25, 2005, my landlord showed up and claimed that the property looked "trashy". She told my boyfriend and myself and our neighbors above us to clean it up, so we did as soon as she left. She told us that she would be back sometime that weekend. She was there Saturday, July 30, and did not say anything to us. She took care of some things that she said she would take care of. Now, just yesterday, August 1st, we received an eviction notice because we supposedly were not maintaining the property and that we supposedly threatened her. None of this is true. We have until August 31st by noon time to leave the property. From what I have read and researched, it says that if we have a one year lease, the landlord must give you 90 days to move. She gave us 30 days. What I have also read is that she must personally hand us the eviction notice or it must be posted on the property. We received the eviction notice via certified mail. Also, in PA, the landlord must file a complaint with the District Justice's office. My landlord, as to my knowledge, has not filed anything. So, I guess what I'm trying to ask is, can she or can't she really evict us? Some legal advice would really help me out here. Thanks for the time and sorry this is a long post!

south

When a landlord serves it does not have to be handed to you it can be pinned to the door and a copy mailed to you to comply or quit.

If you have complied I suggest if the landlord is ignoring the fact then get todays newspaper and place it in the areas that you have cleaned up and take photos proving that on that date the area was cleaned up, also if it goes to court take the newspaper and the photos with you.

trlenker said:
I live in the state of Pennsylvania and my boyfriend and I have been renting an apartment since Feburary 21, 2005. The lease is for one year. On Wednesday, July 25, 2005, my landlord showed up and claimed that the property looked "trashy". She told my boyfriend and myself and our neighbors above us to clean it up, so we did as soon as she left. She told us that she would be back sometime that weekend. She was there Saturday, July 30, and did not say anything to us. She took care of some things that she said she would take care of. Now, just yesterday, August 1st, we received an eviction notice because we supposedly were not maintaining the property and that we supposedly threatened her. None of this is true. We have until August 31st by noon time to leave the property. From what I have read and researched, it says that if we have a one year lease, the landlord must give you 90 days to move. She gave us 30 days. What I have also read is that she must personally hand us the eviction notice or it must be posted on the property. We received the eviction notice via certified mail. Also, in PA, the landlord must file a complaint with the District Justice's office. My landlord, as to my knowledge, has not filed anything. So, I guess what I'm trying to ask is, can she or can't she really evict us? Some legal advice would really help me out here. Thanks for the time and sorry this is a long post!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">