• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my landlord keep my security deposit if i end my lease early in florida state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

I would suggest taking a lot of pics of the units condition and then just waiting to see when and if the new tenant does actually move in , then if they do move in then play the waiting game but don't bother to contact this landlord and see if they follow your states laws for deposit disposition notices first before acting then if the LL still holds the whole 1850 back this is where you are free to use the small claims courts to challenge the LL by asking them to tell the court what his actual financial damages were SO if they claim you left the kitchen dirty too and they had to clean it you should have for the court pics of how clean you left the cupboards (inside pics too) if they claimed you left the fridge dirty then you want to have pics that show it inside and out and how nice and clean you left it, ( get the idea) if the units walls were presentable and the carpeting clean as well as the rest of the unit I personally cant see how it would cost 1850.00 to find a new tenant and its likely the court may not let them have that much. so make sure they have your new address and if you have to sue them if they are unfair then consider doing it.

Gail in Georgia

"our security deposit was 1850 equal to our rent. "

Holey moley, that covers A LOT of advertising and screening costs!!!

It's REALLY doubtful the cost of getting these new tenants even approaches this amount (and since the new tenants are moving in one day after you move out it is doubtful there is even damage to the rental unit).

As suggested, take lots of pictures of the unit at move out should the landlord later claim costs for damages above normal wear and tear.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">