• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my landlord legally do these things(Missouri)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cmm6577

I moved in to this house with my two kids in October since then she's been driving me absolutely insane. First off, she set a "master lease" which I short binds me to a 24 month lease and little (hand written notes) leases to be renewed monthly with a different rent due date. For instance, Octobers rent was due Oct first then November's rent was due Oct 24 then Decembers rent was due on November 17. Now she wants January's rent December 9th. Ive paid on time every month except in November where I was in between paydays and paid December's rent on November 25. On the random day she decides rent is due for the following month, I get a hand written note saying if she doesn't have cash in hand by midnight, I have until 9am to leave the following morning.
On random times while I'm at work she'll walk in the house and do an "inspection" without my knowledge and then blows up my phone, if I don't answer she starts calling my office and demanding to talk to me. I'm a graphic designer for a sporting company and I hang up my signed prints from skate boarders or bmx riders that I did promo posters for. After the first inspection she removed the posters and put them in the outside trash bins saying "she didn't like them and they aren't going to be hung in "her house". The next insoection, she saw I had a TV box next to the trash cans and went inside. She moved my TV and stand to a different wall because she didn't like the placement. I was irritated but calm. Two days later I bought a brand new couch, cost about $1700 with the rug and tables. She went in yet again without my knowledge and moved the couch and tables to the back deck while it's 40 degrees and pouring rain because the light green looks bad against the tan walls. I was so pissed when I came home and my brand new set I hadn't had for 24 hours was soaking wet. I went to her house and told her she can't do that. She says she owns the property and she has every right to decide how her house gets decorated and what goes in it. On my way home I get a text from her telling me she completed the new mini lease and rent for January is due on December 9 and if she doesn't have cash by midnight she will personally move my belongings to the road and lock me out. I told her I wanted out of my 24 month lease, she told me I could but I needed to pay her $5000 cash and give her 30 days notice.
Now this morning I was getting my daughter ready for school and I hear someone come I the house and start opening cabinets in my kitchen. I come in to find a guy and his wife doing a house tour. My landlord gave them keys and told them to come look at the house in the morning while I was at work. Apparently, the guy and his wife gave her a deposit and Decembers rent and they're supposed to move in on December 3rd (tomorrow).

What can I legally do?! This is an absolute nightmare!

LdiJ

I moved in to this house with my two kids in October since then she's been driving me absolutely insane. First off, she set a "master lease" which I short binds me to a 24 month lease and little (hand written notes) leases to be renewed monthly with a different rent due date. For instance, Octobers rent was due Oct first then November's rent was due Oct 24 then Decembers rent was due on November 17. Now she wants January's rent December 9th. Ive paid on time every month except in November where I was in between paydays and paid December's rent on November 25. On the random day she decides rent is due for the following month, I get a hand written note saying if she doesn't have cash in hand by midnight, I have until 9am to leave the following morning.
On random times while I'm at work she'll walk in the house and do an "inspection" without my knowledge and then blows up my phone, if I don't answer she starts calling my office and demanding to talk to me. I'm a graphic designer for a sporting company and I hang up my signed prints from skate boarders or bmx riders that I did promo posters for. After the first inspection she removed the posters and put them in the outside trash bins saying "she didn't like them and they aren't going to be hung in "her house". The next insoection, she saw I had a TV box next to the trash cans and went inside. She moved my TV and stand to a different wall because she didn't like the placement. I was irritated but calm. Two days later I bought a brand new couch, cost about $1700 with the rug and tables. She went in yet again without my knowledge and moved the couch and tables to the back deck while it's 40 degrees and pouring rain because the light green looks bad against the tan walls. I was so pissed when I came home and my brand new set I hadn't had for 24 hours was soaking wet. I went to her house and told her she can't do that. She says she owns the property and she has every right to decide how her house gets decorated and what goes in it. On my way home I get a text from her telling me she completed the new mini lease and rent for January is due on December 9 and if she doesn't have cash by midnight she will personally move my belongings to the road and lock me out. I told her I wanted out of my 24 month lease, she told me I could but I needed to pay her $5000 cash and give her 30 days notice.
Now this morning I was getting my daughter ready for school and I hear someone come I the house and start opening cabinets in my kitchen. I come in to find a guy and his wife doing a house tour. My landlord gave them keys and told them to come look at the house in the morning while I was at work. Apparently, the guy and his wife gave her a deposit and Decembers rent and they're supposed to move in on December 3rd (tomorrow).

What can I legally do?! This is an absolute nightmare!
You move out, and then sue her backside for all of the damages she did to you, plus your security deposit. I wouldn't pay her another penny. I would also inform her that your rent is paid through December 31st and if she touches your belongings without a legal eviction notice that you will be calling the police to have her arrested.

FarmerJ

Anyone else who just lets them selfs in with out notice tell them `get out now` if they don't get it call the police and tell them that you have told someone who let them self in with out notice to leave and they wont ` If your landlord lets her self in with out reasonable notice to you tell her ` get out ` and if she wont then call the police. save all the LLs crazy written crap somewhere else off premise like your car or even a trusted friends and still move but plan on suing this LL for your deposit and even though its after the fact go to the police and file a property damage report against her for the couch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">