• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can my landlord raise my rent so much?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Omego2K

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York

Hi,

Hi I am posting this question for a friend:

I live in an apartment in Brooklyn, NY. I received a sublease agreement with a rent hike of $75 and I currently pay $1025. My previous sublease was for $1025 and expired in April. However, I am renting straight from the landlord and not a tenant of the apartment. Additionally, I began living in this apartment with a roommate. The original sublease was under her name when I moved in and I received my own sublease when she moved out. My question is can my landlord raise the rent $75 even though I pay $1,025 now and can I request a lease instead of a sublease since he is the landlord of the building?

Thanks In advance

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York

Hi,

Hi I am posting this question for a friend:

I live in an apartment in Brooklyn, NY. I received a sublease agreement with a rent hike of $75 and I currently pay $1025. My previous sublease was for $1025 and expired in April. However, I am renting straight from the landlord and not a tenant of the apartment. Additionally, I began living in this apartment with a roommate. The original sublease was under her name when I moved in and I received my own sublease when she moved out. My question is can my landlord raise the rent $75 even though I pay $1,025 now and can I request a lease instead of a sublease since he is the landlord of the building?

Thanks In advance
Do you live in a rent control building?

75 $ sounds like a reasonable rent hike. How long have you rented there. were you ever a lessee, or always under a subtenant agreement.

oh, ok, so now that i actually read your post, if you have not signed the sublease then you certainly can ask that he make it a full lease.

it will still have the 75$ increase, and that is reasonable.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

if you dont like it, and have not signed anything you are free to move out. with the proper notice, which is at least 30 days, served before rent is due for the 30 day notice period.

Omego2K

Hi,

I have read that he can only increase my rent 2.25% if my apartment is rent controlled here:
NYC Rent Guidelines Board

Am I reading correct? Also how can I tell if my building is rent controlled? From what I read I understood if my apartment is less than $2000 a month then it's rent controlled, but I'm not certain if that's all the criteria. Am I correct to assume that he can raise the rent only 2.25% if it's rent controlled? Because $75 is a 7.3% raise.

Thanks in advance Banned Princess

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

this is more likely your situation.

Rent Stabilization
Rent stabilization provides protections to tenants besides limitations on the amount of rent. Tenants are entitled to receive required services, to have their leases renewed, and may not be evicted except on grounds allowed by law. Leases may be renewed for a term of one or two years, at the tenant's choice. Tenants can file relevant complaints on a variety of forms created by the Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR). DHCR is required to serve the complaint on the owner, gather evidence and then can issue a written order which is subject to appeal.

If a tenant's rights are violated, DHCR can reduce rents and levy civil penalties against the owner. Rents may be reduced if services are not maintained. In cases of overcharge, DHCR may assess penalties of interest or treble damages payable to the tenant.

Rent Increases

The Rent Guidelines Boards (one in New York City and one each in Nassau, Westchester, and Rockland counties) each set rates for rent increases in stabilized apartments. These guidelines rates are set once a year and are effective for leases beginning on or after October 1st of each year. New York State Law sets vacancy lease increases for new tenants who sign vacancy leases.

Both in New York City and the ETPA counties, rents can be increased during the lease period in any one of three ways, so long as the lease provides for the collection of an increase during the lease term:

with the written consent of the tenant in occupancy, if the owner increases services or equipment, or makes improvements to an apartment;
with DHCR approval, if the owner installs a building-wide major capital improvement; or
in cases of hardship with DHCR approval.

Rent Overcharges

For rent stabilized apartments, owners may be ordered to refund excess rent collected based upon a finding of a rent overcharge. A finding by DHCR of a willful rent overcharge by the owner may result in the assessment of treble (triple) damages payable to the tenant. DHCR is prohibited from investigating issues concerning rent overcharges and registrations for years occurring more than four years before the filing of a rent overcharge complaint.

Rent Reductions for Decreases in Services

Rents may be reduced if the owner fails to provide required services, or fails to make necessary repairs for an individual apartment or on a building-wide basis. Examples of such conditions are lack of heat/hot water, unsanitary common areas (halls, lobby), and broken door locks. If a tenant receives a rent reduction from DHCR, the owner cannot collect any rent increases until services are restored and DHCR restores the rent.

Harassment

The law prohibits harassment of rent regulated tenants. Owners found guilty of intentional actions to force a tenant to vacate an apartment can be denied decontrol and lawful rent increases and may be subject to both civil and criminal penalties. Owners found guilty of tenant harassment are subject to fines of up to $5,000 for each violation.

Rent Registration

Within 90 days after an apartment first becomes subject to rent stabilization, an owner is required to file an initial registration. After the initial registration, owners must file an annual registration statement giving the April 1st rent for each unit and provide tenants with a copy of their respective apartment's registration form.

Owners who do not file initial or annual statements will not be eligible for rent increases and are subject to additional penalties.

However, upon the service and filing of a late registration, an owner cannot be found to have collected an overcharge for the period of non-registration, provided the increases in the rent were lawful except for the failure to file a timely registration. The penalty of treble damages cannot be assessed against an owner based solely on that owner's failure to file a timely registration.

I suggest you find out if your apartment is stabilized or not from that registration above. not all are.

[url]http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/AboutUs/contact.htm#ora

heres the link to contact them DHCR.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">