• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my lessor formake my stay past my lease ending date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cwhitel2

My lease (in MIchigan) ends on June 30th. I have already moved out of the apartment, but intended to pay rent untill the end of my lease term.

I went in today to pay my last month's rent and the management said that I need to give 60 days written notice, and would be responsable for rent through the end of July. The kicker is that the July rent would be on a month-by-month lease with an additional $200 fee unless I sign another lease.

I've retrieved my lease, and it appears to say two seperate things:

*** "TERM: This lease shall be for 12 months terminating on June 30, 2001. The lease shall commence on 12 noon on the commencement date indicated above at which time lessee shall return property keys. Lessee must be on a signed lease while residing on the premises. Lessee shall be a tenant from month-to month if lessee continues in possession without a valid signed lease."

*** "Notice: Lessee must give lessor 60 days written notice of lessee's intention to move at the end of the lease term or any time thereafter. Lessee will be considered to be occupying the premises and responsible for rent until we receive actual notice lessee has vacated, or until lessor determines the premises have been abandoned."

Am I responsable for July rent?

Thanks,
CW

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">