• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can old landlord call new landlord and have you kicked out from new apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susieanddave

What is the name of your state? MO
I had an car accident in April that cost me my job at a nursing home. I could not pay my rent for two months at my old apartment . My husband and I tried for 2 months to find a job but it was either the position had been filled or the manager was on vacation. We informed our landlord of our situation but she was not concerned about our problem. She just wanted her money. I hocked everything I could to put gas in my car so I could find a job. I even tried to apply for unemployment but since I didn't have the money to be released to go back to work from my doctor, I was denied my claim. I tried to pack and leave before we were given summons to go to court but the landlord was there at 11:30 in the morning on the day we were moving calling the cops. We were served to go to court on the 9th of July. When I went back to get the last load of my things,she wasn't there,but when I left to go to my new apartment,she was following me to see where I went. Granted we did lie to get the new apartment,I wanted to sever all ties with the old apartment to get a fresh start. The next day we got a note from our new landlord saying that we needed to be out because we lied on the application. We went to talk to her and she said that our old landlady had called her to tell her that we were being evicted from our old apartment. I believe that what she did was sneaky and underhanded. What I want to know is what are my rights in this matter. Thank you. Sue Zumwalt

Y

yoyoma

Well NOW you know what is true in America:

THE LANDLORD ALWAYS GETS PAID FIRST!!!!!!!!!

Why didnt the 2 of you borrow money from......

YOUR FAMILIES............yup those people who brought you into this world, those are the people you should ask for a loan , not the LANDLORD!

UMMMMM by not paying your rent on time and in FULL you are Forcing the landlord to loan you the money....

PS you BOTH had BETTER be in court ON TIME, on July 9th or you lose by default even if the landlord lied on the summons!!!

J

jlw1000

Landlords hear "sob stories" all the time, and most of them turn out to be a pack of lies. Even if yours is the truth, the landlord has probably been burned by so many liars in the past, that they are no longer willing to work with the tenant.

Your own posting makes it appear that you were trying to skip out on the past due rent. Apparently you mistakenly thought if you moved out before being served, you would avoid being served and ultimately the landlord would not get her judgment. The landlord had to take the added steps of having the police serve you while you were in the midst of moving out to ensure she would get her day in court.

As for the landlord following you, what a gutsy move. She wanted to make sure she knew where you were living. This way when she wins in court for past due rent, she will know where to direct the sheriff when she asks for a sale of your belongings.

As for lying on the new application, I take it you did not truthfully disclose who your landlord was. The new landlord has every right to ask you to leave based on this MAJOR lie made by you. Landlords screen tenants by various methods, one of which is to call previous landlords. I am sure you would not have gotten the new apartment if the new landlord had known about your lack of payment at you old place.

As for calling the landlord sneaky and underhanded, I think you are projecting. You are just mad because the landlord outwitted you in your deceitful sneaky ways, and you know you will end up having to pay the past due rent you owe.

M

MSWCCC

If you had the money for the first month and deposit on a new apartment, and possibly last month, why did you not have the money to pay the back rent?

If you were/are unable to work, or are having trouble, apply for SSI (supplimental security income), which is to suppliment the income, or complete lack, of someone who is not making enought for basics. Like welfare in a way, but not welfare, which completely pays your way in life. If you genuinely need financial help due to the accident, you should apply for that temporarily.

The accident and inability to pay at the time does not make you a bad person, but moving and skipping rent is a bad choice. You will have to pay her, and will lose in court. Skipping the rent has only made it harder for you since you now have not only no place to live, but you need to pay her as well as find the money for a home somewhere. You would have been better off staying put, paying the back rent, then moving.

Yoyo, not all families have the money to lend people, and if they did, maybe some other relative byrned them in the past (my parents loaned my mom's sister money for a new car and she didn't pay them back, get insurance, or lock her doors-the car was stolen and found stripped and my parents lost out since she quit working and had "no way" to pay them, and they now won't lend money to ANYONE).

Back to you. The landlady was not deceiptful or underhanded, just concerned about getting the money. Whether or not YOU pay, the landperson does. If we didn't pay rent on our place, our landlord would have to come up with a way to pay the mortgage on this place (mortgage since he is the owner) in addition to his own residence.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Y

yoyoma

NOW we see that all that talk about FAMILY VALUES actually mean something!!!!!!

Some families DONT have any!!!!

PS.....you mom can ALWAYS say in her will that her sister will get $xxxx LESS then everyone else (or NOTHING) for stiffing her for the car....

the ultimate revenge..

============================================

Yoyo, not all families have the money to lend people, and if they did, maybe some
other relative byrned them in the past (my parents loaned my mom's sister money for
a new car and she didn't pay them back, get insurance, or lock her doors-the car was
stolen and found stripped and my parents lost out since she quit working and had "no
way" to pay them, and they now won't lend money to ANYONE).

M

MSWCCC

My mom doesn't have any money to will. Not that her druggie sister would be alive. Just got the call a few hours ago that she's in the ER again for a stomach pump from ODing. Fourth time this year. Besides, anything she has she is willing to me.

I

icebluvenus

LA
yoyoma how crass can you be? I mean, some things may appear obvious and there may have been a better way to deal with it but come on. You come off as idealistic and immature. If you are going to post a reply write according to your age and not your shoe size...

M

MSWCCC

The only thing Yoyo is good for is a laugh. Only once have I ever seen him/her/it say something that actually made sense and pertained to the topic. How nice to be as rich as Yoyo, and to come from a rich family who happens to have oodles of money sitting around waiting to give to someone and who actually have enought money that a will for that money makes sense.

Q

quirk

susieanddave, yes, both your old and new landlords are within their rights. Is there insurance related to the car accident? You might want to mention (or better yet, have your lawyer mention) to the responsible insurance company that "pain and suffering" as well as actual damages are likely to increase dramatically for every day of homelessness you suffer as a result of this incident, encouraging a more quick settlement, at which time you would be able to settle with old landlord and pay new landlord extra security for the extra risk of taking in a previously evicted tenant. Most landlords are unwilling to accept someone with an eviction, but often are more lenient towards isolated periods of financial problems related to medical costs as compared to other causes of bad credit.

mswccc, social security for a disability doesn't kick in until you have been disabled for a year.

L

loku

Susieanddave
Unfortunately quirk is right in the legal interpretation relating to the landlord situation. If the landlord can convince the court that s/he would not have rented to you if s/he had known of the eviction, then the lease is void and you can legally be evicted.

Yoyoma,

All you do on this board is stir up trouble. People post questions because they have legal problems. Your rude answers make them feel worse and distract attention from the legal issues. You seem to have a strong sense of morals: apply them to yourself and look at the harm and suffering you are causing.

C

CaliCat

quirk said:
mswccc, social security for a disability doesn't kick in until you have been disabled for a year.
You're wrong to assume that for all states. I was disabled in October of 2000 due to an accident involving a drunk driver (the other guy running a red) and applied September of lasy year. Not a year had gone by yet, tey when I was approved, I got retroactive pay back to March. The period in CA is 4 months, though it will vary.

Plus her work may have offered some sort of disability as my mother's did. Sometimes there is a small fee deducted from a paycheck, but it's worth it.

And under certain circumstances, the SS office will pay "emergency cash" provided real need is shown. It's really up to each office what is an emergency need and what's not.

Q

quirk

social security vs. social services

CaliCat, I was talking about social security; i.e. the money the federal government takes out of your paycheck to eventually be available for you if you retire or become disabled. That is not state-specific.

I didn't mean to imply you couldn't get state welfare/social services aid, or other types of help. Localities might have some kind of aid in addition to teh state, and local churches/charities are always good places to look. And, of course, disability insurance, if you had it (probably what your mother has), either through your work or bought on your own, would apply here.

K

kcdogg

Re: social security vs. social services

quirk said:
CaliCat, I was talking about social security; i.e. the money the federal government takes out of your paycheck to eventually be available for you if you retire or become disabled. That is not state-specific.

I didn't mean to imply you couldn't get state welfare/social services aid, or other types of help. Localities might have some kind of aid in addition to teh state, and local churches/charities are always good places to look. And, of course, disability insurance, if you had it (probably what your mother has), either through your work or bought on your own, would apply here.

Social security disability is very hard to get and if and when you do get your case accepted, it can take up to six months before you receive any money!

C

CaliCat

I managed to get disability, and yes, it's very hard to get on. I was disabled in October of 2000, and was finally approved tos SS dis, in September of last year after being denied a few times. But they gave me retroactive to April.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">