• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a property manager collect rent after the property foreclosed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dimac28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

I rent a condo here, and the 2nd month living here there was a Notice of Trustee's Sale posted to the door to take effect the following week, Sept 1st. I called my property managment company, and the president of the company advised me not to pay September's rent since the sale was set for the same day the rent was due. He advised he will notify me of the outcome of the sale. About 3 days after the sale, he left me a message advising of no update as of yet. On the 10th of Sept, I contacted the Trustee handling the sale. All they told me was the property foreclosed on the 1st, and that it was a subordinate lien to the mortgage. Apparently, there was a contractors lien by the HOA of the condos for about $32K. They advised me that the monies were still due and the property was in fact foreclosed. On Sept 15th, a leasing agent who acutally handled my lease, contacted me theatening a 3 day pay or quit. I told him the story, and he said it doesn't matter the rents are due. I told him what the Trustee told me, and asked him to look into it. I told him that with all of the scams out there, I would like proof that the owner is still the owner and thus their contract with the owner is still valid. They refuse to provide me any documentation, and continue to do so. The county recorder said there has been nothing new recorded and to call back in two weeks. Well, now October is coming up including what would be Octobers rent, and I got a mailed 3 Day Pay or Quit fom the property manager. I am not trying to get "free rent". My rent is very reasonable, but I'm afraid of paying the rent to them, and being contacted by the "new owner" for rents too. I know I can contest the eviction if I'm served one, but I'd just like to know if I'm wasting my time. Should I just gamble it, and pay them my rent, and HOPE that they still have possession of the property?? Is it legal for them to collect rent from me if the property was foreclosed? The owner I believe has 90 days to cure on this one. So do I owe them or not? I can't seem to get an answer.

Cvillecpm

Yes * until the bank sticks its head up that it has title BACK, the property manager has a contract with and duty to the property owner.

You need to keep paying your rent if you want to remain for the remainder of your lease....stop paying your rent and loose that protection!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">