• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a property manager refuse to give the landlord's contact information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anikolop

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am currently in a dispute with the property manager of an apartment complex regarding certain satellite dish issues. Every time I ask to get the contact information for the landlord, she refuses. The lease generally lists the apartment complex name as the landlord but it was signed by the property manager. Can a property manager refuse to give the contact information for the landlord? After all, the lease is with the landlord and not the manager. Thank you.

Cvillecpm

Yes - the manager is the authorized representative of the owner. If you have a problem with the manager over dish installation, check the FCC website.

Alaska landlord

Landlord/Manager can make you responsible for installation costs, demand that it not be affixed to property and designate location.

anikolop

I have read the FCC rules and I understand that they give the landlord the authority to place certain restrictions on dish placement. However, the landlord verbally consented to my dish being placed on the balcony railing for the last three years. About two months ago I signed another lease extension, but was not notified about these new "policies" until a few weeks ago. The problem is that I cannot now move the dish to any other location that would get me a signal. Now I have a dish contract that I am responsible for and a landlord threatening to penalize me for having the dish on the railing. Shouldn't the landlord have brought this up before I renewed my lease? The lease does in fact state that a tenant must sign a satellite dish addendum form. However, that form was never provided to me at the latest lease renewal (it was not provided for the prior three leaseterms as well). Don't the actions of the landlord for the past three years count for anything? I know landlord's have the right to impose apartment-wide policies at any time, but what if those policies put the tenant in hot water with their satellite company?

Cvillecpm

Naming the on-site manager adheres to the statute provided. It is IN THE LEASE. OP would have to go find out who owns the NAME OF THE PROPERTY with the county if you read the ENTIRE statute

TigerD

However, the landlord verbally consented to my dish being placed on the balcony railing for the last three years. About two months ago I signed another lease extension, but was not notified about these new "policies" until a few weeks ago.
My lease requires written permission for attachments like a dish. On the upside, if you have had your dish for three years, you should be out of the contract requirements.

DC

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A balcony RAILING is not an appropriate placement and the building insurance may well be objecting
A balcony railing may very well be an appropriate placement...one would need to actually evaluate said placement.

To the OP: Can't you get a stand that you can set on your balcony?

anikolop

For reasons not worth getting into at the moment, there is no other place to put the dish but on the balcony railing with it protruding outside the balcony a little. The landlord's new policy is that it can be on the railing but that it cannot protrude. I have one more question which will determine how I will proceed: Can a policy that has an adverse effect on one tenant be enforced if (1) it was not addressed in the lease AND (2) it was previously consented to by the landlord? I pretty much use my dish mainly for certain international channels that I cannot obtain through cable. I would hope that the law does not leave a tenant high and dry in these types of situations. I asked the manager if I could break my lease since they will not work with me and they are not willing to do that as well. You are right about the fact that breaking the dish contract may not be an issue after all this time. However, can I be forced to stay in an apartment if my sole means of enjoyment are the international channels of my home country? (I know, I need to get a life!). After all, I had this dish placement for so long. I am just troubled by the fact that this policy is being brought to my attention after the lease renewal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For reasons not worth getting into at the moment, there is no other place to put the dish but on the balcony railing with it protruding outside the balcony a little. The landlord's new policy is that it can be on the railing but that it cannot protrude. I have one more question which will determine how I will proceed: Can a policy that has an adverse effect on one tenant be enforced if (1) it was not addressed in the lease AND (2) it was previously consented to by the landlord? I pretty much use my dish mainly for certain international channels that I cannot obtain through cable. I would hope that the law does not leave a tenant high and dry in these types of situations. I asked the manager if I could break my lease since they will not work with me and they are not willing to do that as well. You are right about the fact that breaking the dish contract may not be an issue after all this time. However, can I be forced to stay in an apartment if my sole means of enjoyment are the international channels of my home country? (I know, I need to get a life!). After all, I had this dish placement for so long. I am just troubled by the fact that this policy is being brought to my attention after the lease renewal.
You cannot allow the dish to extend in to the "common area". If the dish protrudes beyond the railing and over the common area, then the LL can restrict it. You should find a way to mount it on a stand that is placed on the balcony.

Alaska landlord

As long as the policies of management does not substantially change the terms of the lease, the landlord is within his rights to incorporate them through reference into the lease. It was no up to management to determine whether or not you had a dish or not. This is something you should have mentioned and you should have asked for a copy of the house rules before you signed the lease.

But, no this does not rise to the level of a legit reason to break the lease. You might want to invest in a smaller dish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">