• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can room mate enter my room without permission and just throw away my stuff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bachelorgurl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
ohio

i am subleasing a 2 bedroom apartment (contract ends in sept). but since im not in good terms with my room mate anymore i moved to a single bedroom in the same building in june. i assured him though that hed get my share of the rent from july to sept. he demanded post dated checks for july to sept as early as june 17. i caught him once in the bedroom. he said he was just checking out the cables. that was about june 21. officially the room is paid til june 30. is that trespassing? he was vocal too about moving to my assigned bedroom because its
bigger (i pay extra $20 for it) he said if he moves to my bedroom, i will pay a lesser rent.
i issued him check for july and mailed it. i saw it in his mailbox as of july 2. i dont know why hes not getting it. i have a feeling he already assumed i will not pay my share as promised.
if so, does he have a right to enter the room again, touch (or worst throw away) my stuff? does he have a right to move to my assigned room without asking my permission?
if he did any of those, can i take legal action on it?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
ohio

i am subleasing a 2 bedroom apartment (contract ends in sept). but since im not in good terms with my room mate anymore i moved to a single bedroom in the same building in june. i assured him though that hed get my share of the rent from july to sept. he demanded post dated checks for july to sept as early as june 17.
I would not give him post dated checks. Simply provide the rent amount due on or before the due date.

i caught him once in the bedroom. he said he was just checking out the cables. that was about june 21. officially the room is paid til june 30. is that trespassing?
Depends on the agreement you have with him. If you are only renting a room, and you are subleasing from him, than he is required to provide notice to enter per your states LL/T laws.

he was vocal too about moving to my assigned bedroom because its
bigger (i pay extra $20 for it) he said if he moves to my bedroom, i will pay a lesser rent.
That is up to you, however he cannot move in without your expressed agreement and still cannot collect rent from you.

i issued him check for july and mailed it. i saw it in his mailbox as of july 2. i dont know why hes not getting it. i have a feeling he already assumed i will not pay my share as promised.
Leave him a message informing him the rent in in the mailbox.

if so, does he have a right to enter the room again, touch (or worst throw away) my stuff? does he have a right to move to my assigned room without asking my permission?
No. If things are missing, file a police report of theft naming him as the main suspect. Notify him he cannot enter without your permission or prior notice.

if he did any of those, can i take legal action on it?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
As of now, nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">