• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can tenant break lease in Indiana for bug infestation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erin.e.and

Clarksville, Indiana

My sister and her family have lived in their apartment since October. Starting in March, ****roaches began infesting the apartment. She keeps a clean home, so there's no way that the roaches are comingin due to her housekeeping negligence. She had to argue with the landlord to get the lady to call Orkin about the roaches. Orkin came out on March 10th and were to return in 30 days. They didn't return until April 28th. My sister is still finding roaches. They aren't in the kitchen, but in the rest of the apartment. Th landlord is trying to say that the three dishes that she saw in the sink when she came the first time the Orkin man came and the dirty clothes on the floor in the bedroom are the causes of the infestation. My sister has not changed the way she keeps house and when she rented a different apartment in the same complex a couple years ago, she didn't have this trouble. The roaches can be seen entering the building in the main hallway between apartments. My sister wants to break the lease and move since the landlord isn't getting rid of the roaches and is blaming her for the infestation- which isn't true. The landlord laughed at her and said that she can't break the lease for this reason. Does she have any legal recourse to break her lease due to this? What should she do to get this taken care of if she can't break her lease?

Banned_Princess

Clarksville, Indiana

My sister and her family have lived in their apartment since October. Starting in March, ****roaches began infesting the apartment. She keeps a clean home, so there's no way that the roaches are comingin due to her housekeeping negligence. She had to argue with the landlord to get the lady to call Orkin about the roaches. Orkin came out on March 10th and were to return in 30 days. They didn't return until April 28th. My sister is still finding roaches. They aren't in the kitchen, but in the rest of the apartment. Th landlord is trying to say that the three dishes that she saw in the sink when she came the first time the Orkin man came and the dirty clothes on the floor in the bedroom are the causes of the infestation. My sister has not changed the way she keeps house and when she rented a different apartment in the same complex a couple years ago, she didn't have this trouble. The roaches can be seen entering the building in the main hallway between apartments. My sister wants to break the lease and move since the landlord isn't getting rid of the roaches and is blaming her for the infestation- which isn't true. The landlord laughed at her and said that she can't break the lease for this reason. Does she have any legal recourse to break her lease due to this? What should she do to get this taken care of if she can't break her lease?
Indiana does not allow break in a lease for this reason.

If the LL already called the exterminator, the LL fulfilled his duty as far as exterminating.

If your sister knows where they are coming from, why doesn't she just fix the hole, or spray there for roaches, or set roach traps, sounds like your sister is doing nothing but complaining.

Banned_Princess

Here it is in easy to understand format, and color cartoons as well.

http://elkhartcountyhealth.org/forms/New%20Indiana%20Habitability%20English.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">