• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the tenant change lease after lease is signed and moved in? (PA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blizz3010

I had a question for someone and was kinda unsure of who I should ask. Recently, I started going to Penn tech. Anyway, prior to signing the lease, I wanted a month to month payments, non-student lease It is a YEAR LEASE. That was fine and everything. Now, about a month later my landlord is trying to make me sign a new lease. The old lease was 3 pages long. This new lease is like 30 pages with tons and tons of rules added on to it. I do not have any intentions of signing this new lease. He has some very very ridiculous rules. Only allowed to have 2 guests in my apartment.No guests allowed after 11pm. No one is allowed to stay in my apartment unless he is given 24 hours notice prior and is told who is staying, why they are staying, how they are related. No alcohol or drugs on the premise.(I'm gonna be 23 years old this year). IF there is he will fine use 500$ and could evict me. Bunch of other stupid rules. I haven't caused any problems or anything. I specifically moved into this apartment because of the certain reasons. Now, he is trying to change the lease to something completely different. I just cannot believe this. What should I do?
Thanks,
Michael Onofre

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

I had a question for someone and was kinda unsure of who I should ask. Recently, I started going to Penn tech. Anyway, prior to signing the lease, I wanted a month to month one, non-student lease. That was fine and everything. Now, about a month later my landlord is trying to make me sign a new lease. The old lease was 3 pages long. This new lease is like 30 pages with tons and tons of rules added on to it. I do not have any intentions of signing this new lease. He has some very very ridiculous rules. Only allowed to have 2 guests in my apartment.No guests allowed after 11pm. No one is allowed to stay in my apartment unless he is given 24 hours notice prior and is told who is staying, why they are staying, how they are related. No alcohol or drugs on the premise.(I'm gonna be 23 years old this year). IF there is he will fine use 500$ and could evict me. Bunch of other stupid rules. I haven't caused any problems or anything. I specifically moved into this apartment because of the certain reasons. Now, he is trying to change the lease to something completely different. I just cannot believe this. What should I do?
Thanks,
Michael Onofre
Get ready to move. Since you are currently on a month to month the landlord will most likely send you a 30-day notice to quit.

Absolutely right! Give notice, pack up, and move out. Perhaps the landlord will find a seminary student who has taken a vow of celebacy and silence to rent the unit.

Find an apartment that suits your lifestyle.

blizz3010

i misstated my information, I meant to say I pay my rent month to month some people here pay by semester, I didnt want a student lease thats why I said month to month ,for i signed a year lease. From Jan 13th 07 to Jan 13 08.

FarmerJ

You have a copy of the lease in a safe place that is outside of your rental unit ? if so then tell your LL in writting that you have a lease that is binding until ( date) and you dont care to change any of its terms. send your letter with a method that gives you a delivery confirm and consider paying your rent the same way the rest of this lease. Keep all your communications with the LL in writting too wether its a repair request or what ever.

Alaska landlord

Ditto FarmerJ.

Also, review your lease and make sure you don’t violate any of its terms. In PA, the tenant can waive the right to a 5 day notice. Meaning the landlord can take legal action as the first step. Make sure you didn’t sign one and get ready to move at the end of your lease term.

blizz3010

You have a copy of the lease in a safe place that is outside of your rental unit ? if so then tell your LL in writting that you have a lease that is binding until ( date) and you dont care to change any of its terms. send your letter with a method that gives you a delivery confirm and consider paying your rent the same way the rest of this lease. Keep all your communications with the LL in writting too wether its a repair request or what ever.
I photo copied the lease when I got it. He was trying to tell me that his lawyer said it would be better for him to have it that way. I know hes full of crap.

Cvillecpm

DITTO Who!!! Your landlord is SOL....he may be able to get students to sign new leases and you don't have to,

blizz3010

yea im def not signing no new lease. I mean i already have a mom and dad I don't need another one. im going to send him a formal letter and tell him im not signing that thing.

I think she clairified that earlier ...

she already signed a 1 year lease, paid monthly, and now LL wants her to sign a new lease with all sorts of new rules and regulations in it.

--Dave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">