+ Reply to Thread
    VBJ1280 is offline Junior Member

Arrow Can a tenant put a lien on the landlord's home??

What is the name of your state? We leave in Indiana, but were renting a home in California.

We decided to sell our home in CA in April 05 (we were renting it).
    Tenants refused to let home inspector and termit inspectors in.
    Title company held $10k until tenants moved out and inspectors were able to come back to complete their inspection.
    Because they had to come back, they both charged an extra fee. (total $200).
    Tenants lost one garage opener ($60) and my property manager said to keep $100 for all the headache that woman has been causing us (which included the withholding of our $10k!!!).

So my property manager tells me to withdraw a total of $400 from the security deposit.
    I send the check to the tenants on Friday.

Today, our tenant calls me and threatens to sue us because we kept $400. She said she is going to put a lien on our home here in Indiana!!!! Can she really do that??? That's insane!!! We just did what our property manager told us to do! How can she expect her whole deposit back anyway??

What can we / should we do?? Her father is a lawyer and she is very wealthy, so she knows all kind of people, but we don't!!!
    And our property manager is out-of-town until next week!

I am so sick to my stomach right now. I don't think I have ever been so nervous and scared in my life.

I really appreciate any help or input on the subject. Thank you.
    south is offline Senior Member
    Do not lose any sleep

Quote Originally Posted by VBJ1280
    What is the name of your state? We leave in Indiana, but were renting a home in California.

We decided to sell our home in CA in April 05 (we were renting it).
    Tenants refused to let home inspector and termit inspectors in.
    Title company held $10k until tenants moved out and inspectors were able to come back to complete their inspection.
    Because they had to come back, they both charged an extra fee. (total $200).
    Tenants lost one garage opener ($60) and my property manager said to keep $100 for all the headache that woman has been causing us (which included the withholding of our $10k!!!).

So my property manager tells me to withdraw a total of $400 from the security deposit.
    I send the check to the tenants on Friday.

Today, our tenant calls me and threatens to sue us because we kept $400. She said she is going to put a lien on our home here in Indiana!!!! Can she really do that??? That's insane!!! We just did what our property manager told us to do! How can she expect her whole deposit back anyway??

What can we / should we do?? Her father is a lawyer and she is very wealthy, so she knows all kind of people, but we don't!!!
    And our property manager is out-of-town until next week!

I am so sick to my stomach right now. I don't think I have ever been so nervous and scared in my life.

I really appreciate any help or input on the subject. Thank you.
    SkeeterBug is offline Member

don't listen to her

In order to put a lien on home she has to file a claim in court and win. she cannot put a lien unless she wins in court and lets say she wins suit and you don't pay for instance. do not let her bully you. tell her to come ahead because it will cost her more than it is worth she is probably a spoiled brat and is used to getting her way and imo she is having a tamtrum
    VBJ1280 is offline Junior Member

Thanks...

that is reassuring to know that she cannot just put a lien on our home.
    And yes, she is a spoiled brat. Right on.
    Thanks again.