• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they make me pay to install carpet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tasslehoff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello there,

I recently received a notice from my landlord indicating that I must put carpets into my apartment because my downstairs neighbor has been complaining about the noise from my family walking etc. We have hardwood floors, but they are not in very good condition and are constantly creaking etc when we walk on them. In addition to this, the subfloor is not very sturdy (my husband and uncle are handy men- that's the extent of my expert knowledge on this issue :) )- hence the noise etc. I recently (before I received the letter from my building management) put in a work order for the floor issue to be addressed and to date nothing has been done. I totally understand my neighbor's predicament- I hear my neighbors upstairs as well- but a quote to install simple commercial carpet was approximately $800, including padding and labor, but is it fair for management to compel me to install this carpet and not reimburse me for it? Additionally, in the even that they choose not to reimburse me, when I leave, should I decide to take my carpet with me, can they then charge me for any damage to the floors, ESPECIALLY since the main reason I will be putting it down would be because they told me I have to? ANY advice, suggestions etc will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tell your landlord that you are willing to work with him on a time that you will need to be out of the unit so that he can have the carpet installed at his expense...

BL

You have no obligation to pay for and lay carpet down.

There are many many renters in the same predicament.

This is normal living conditions.

It's not a tenant's obligation.

As was said tell your LL you will work with them at their expenses to be able to install padding and carpet.

sandyclaus

LL's issue, LL's problem, LL's expense. Not your responsibility to invest $800 in a carpet installation that will stay with the property.

As stated before, tell LL you are willing to work with them to arrange a time for them to install (and pay for) the carpet they want.

In the meantime, you might offer to buy area rugs or runners to cover the major walkways as a noise-dampening measure. THOSE you can take with you.

You Are Guilty

If you have a written lease, look it over for a "floor covering" provision. Some leases will stipulate the tenant has to cover x% of the floor (usually 75-80) with rugs/carpeting/etc. If your lease doesn't have such a clause, or if you are on an oral month to month lease, then this is not your problem.

tasslehoff

Thank you all so much for your responses!

There is a clause in the lease that recommended 80% floor coverings and I do have area rugs down (but admittedly not over 80% of my floors). I am going to take your advice and get a few runners for the corridors as well today, at which time I will be completely abiding by the terms of the lease. This forum is the best! I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to my concerns. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">